Wednesday, November 28, 2012

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Req'd reading: "Do Unto Smelt Thumpers"

I couldn't agree more and I'm glad I saw this ;).  I bike commute year-round here and found a very similar set of rules for cyclists, one of which is "treat women on the bike route as you'd have someone treat your own wife or daughter out there".  Another was "if you're riding past another cyclist and you're male and the other cyclist is not, don't assume she's just dying to talk to you and definitely don't start offering unsolicited advice".  

A lot of female cyclists I work with tell me that it isn't uncommon to have a dude ride up and say something like "hey, when you climb hills try shifting down and increasing your cadence" or something else really douche-tastic like that.  This same thing would apply to fly fishing ;).  
 
Gene

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:31:08 PM UTC-5, Miles wrote:
Every flyrodder should read this essay, if only for the rat-tail muddler anecdote at the end:

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/Do-Unto-Smelt-Thumpers.html?page=all

Randy Wayne White is one of my favorite authors -- a former fishing guide and an esteemed Floridian. I read this when it first came out -- almost twenty years ago, as I was just getting into fly fishing -- but for a long time it was unknown to the Internet. Then I happened to google 'rat-tail muddler' this evening, and it finally showed up, at long last. So I had to share.

Anyway, you're welcome.

MDT

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/zNmJa7St1j0J.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment