Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Hotspotting Marshal's?

Kokatat tempest jacket. You'll never use a fishing jacket again. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 28, 2012, at 7:56 PM, Steve <dubblehaul@waywardangler.com> wrote:

That "bargain" Columbia PFG wading jacket is going back!   I read a few negative reviews, mostly centered around an issue with the cuffs leaking.  So,  I dunked my arm into a bucket of water and guess what?  It leaks.  Columbia blew it.  No wonder these were on clearance at Marshals.  
Steve

On Nov 27, 2012, at 7:22 AM, TurbineBlade <doublebclan@gmail.com> wrote:

Good post.  

I think the main thing is that it's pointless to judge other anglers based upon your ideas of what is "cool" versus "uncool".  Strike indicators (bobbers), 100% catch and release, intensely managing non-native trout in waters that are incapable of supporting them (God knows how many hellbender eggs have been eaten by rainbow trout ;)), fishing only with certain flies, fishing only with certain weight rods, hotspotting, releasing carp/snakeheads/bluegill the size of nickels, barbless hooks, etc.  are all some of the things I've seen people argue about in this hobby....and no one is right, it's just opinion.  

BTW - if anyone wants to trade bluegill hotspots let me know.  I could live and die fishing for them alone and be happy.  ;)  I'm also looking for chain pickerel and/or pike.  

Gene

On Monday, November 26, 2012 10:40:03 PM UTC-5, dubblehaul wrote:
Weird. I was trolling the racks at a local Marshal's department store and found several Columbia Performance Fishing Gear (PFG) wading jackets 50% off (like everything there, right?).  They are waterproof/breathable, with neoprene cuffs and the shiny omni-heat liner.  I had to buy one, along with a decorative jar of gourmet popcorn to eat while I read the "hot spotting" debate…and liking it.

I grew up hunting pheasant, eating trout, steelhead and salmon in my dad's "secret spots", which weren't really that secret.  He just liked to think they were.  

Do you ever read those guide books and then get to the featured river to find out it really kind of sucks, like the author wrote just enough to promote the general area but never the best holes - just enough to sell the book.  I'm glad he didn't.  Though, even with the best advise and best flies I fished the North Branch Potomac River five time before finally landing a sizable fish the river is known for gifting some lucky anglers.  I had to learn the water on my own:   the flow, the migration patterns, the holes, the runs, the best drift and, to a lesser degree, the right fly, and it changes all the time. And it was different on every trip.

What's my point? Oh yeah…so, a great angler who knows the water well privately, and discretely, told me exactly where to stand, which fly and how to drift it.  But the water conditions were never the same as when he had previously fished it successfully, nor were the fish in the same spots.  So, I still had to work pretty hard on each trip to find the spot that was fishing well at that very moment of the day.  The nuances of the river dictated the outcome each time.  I'm not a fan of hotspotting but bought the guide books and joined the clubs to meet anglers who could show me spots.  But ultimately, it came down to me figuring it out.  I realized that though popular, protecting my favorite places, the ones I enjoy most, had to be a priority for me.   That said, I don't mind seeing other fly anglers in "my spots", especially those who are on their own journey and committed to keeping it fun for rest of us.  

Solitude is nice though. When there is so much traffic that my cast or drift is obstructed by other anglers, there is conflict, the river spirits are unhappy and the zen is gone for me.  

I think the hotspotting dialog, opposed or indifferent one may be to it,  is very healthy for the sport and this forum.  Thanks.  

Steve



--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/m7jH95oQTGcJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment