Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} North Branch / Savage River Report

We did well on Sunday, one 20 in bow and several 12 in sized ones as well.  The weather was great too.  I've posted the pic on my blog.  I should have had a net. I yelled for one of the other guys to bring me one, but they were already getting lit by the fire and didn't hear my distress calls.  Fortunately, one of the other guys happened to be walking his dog and managed to catch me hooking and landing the bigger one on video - lucky me.  I usually don't have a photographer, mind you.  I've been slow to post anything on that trip though. 
 - Steve

http://waywardangler.com/a-gierach-quote/




On Nov 28, 2012, at 10:44 AM, Dubble Haul <dubblehaul@waywardangler.com> wrote:

Kevin,
We might have met. I talked with a guy with a dog about the big fish he landed and didn't have his camera. That was Saturday afternoon while we were moving into cabin 8.  We also had a dog with us. Was that you?  The first small cabin by the locked gate?
Steve


On Nov 28, 2012, at 9:38 AM, Kevin Chaney <chaneykj@gmail.com> wrote:

TPFRs,

I'm late on this trip report - but as they say,  better late than never!

Over Veterans Day weekend, my dog and I made our way up to Barnum WV for two nights and to do some fishing on the North Branch and Savage. They have cabins available (http://www.mineralcountywv.com/parksandrecreation/cabins.asp) you can rent, if tent camping isn't your thing. They have electric and a small heater if anyone is thinking of doing some winter fishing.

 As soon as I arrived to the NB I geared up, and fished my way towards the dam starting in the C&R section. No more than 30 minutes after hitting the water, using a double nymph rig (size 14 and size 18) through some nervous water at the tail of a run, my indicator shot down and a huge bow elevated out of the water several times. Given my biggest fish was an 18incher, I knew this one was bigger and it put up a really good fight -I  worked my way cautiously down river with the fish trying not to trip/slip on the greasy rocks.  After a good 10 minutes I landed the fish as close to the bank as possible since it was  overwhelming my net.  I quickly got out my tape measure - 22incher.

Unfortunately, it was a bittersweet moment, I left my camera/phone in the car (to anxious to hit the water I guess). I actually contemplated running to get it - but realized that was unrealistic. So I gathered myself, took the best mental snapshots I could and let her head back to deeper water. I immediately headed back to the car, still shaking with excitement grabbed my iphone and wouldn't you know it - didn't catch a thing the rest of the day. 

The next day I hit the water again, using a variety of streamers and nymph rigs. I had some success on and off catching some nice 12-14 inch bows, and one really fat 17 incher on a streamer.

I also hit the Savage and took a small brookie and nice brown on a small caddis near the bridge. Overall, great weekend, minus falling in the NB and filling my waders up - thankfully it reached 65 that day.







--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/8Z6Qv864258J.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment