Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} New to Fly Fishing - Help

Rodrigo, I'm also new to fly fishing! Reach out to me directly. Would love to have someone that I can discuss all of these details with.

Trevor

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 25, 2020, at 6:53 PM, Doug Graebner <dgraebner1@gmail.com> wrote:

One caveat is that as you start cutting line off the leader changing tippets, it will eventually get to the point where 1) your taper starts getting funky and 2) you may have to change the knots you use since some leader/tippet knots generally stop working once the diameter of the tippet and thin end of the leader are too far apart. But this will become obvious once you get to a very visible difference. This doesn't matter as much for bass since there's less need for a tapered leader-in fact, I have the bad habit of recylcing some of my used-up fly leaders as bass leaders since a cut-to-useless 5X/7X leader is pretty nearly the right length for a slightly short bass leader and I feel better about not throwing the leaders out.
On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 5:46:06 PM UTC-4 James M. wrote:
Hi rodrigo,

Do you know what size your leader is? If you know the size (my guess is it is 3x-4x if it came with a 5-6wt line) youre correct, you can buy a spool of some cheap tippet material of the same weight you can tie about a 2' section to the end of the tippet with a double surgeons knot. A 9 foot tapered leader like you have is a great length for all around fishing. What species and water are you targeting?

For knots, I love this link. It'll help you get your rod rigged up quickly so you can get out there: https://www.scientificanglers.com/fly-fishing-knot-tying-basics/

Leader Recipes are part of this awesome sport, and everybody has their own makeup and formulas for the right taper depending on the size and weight of fly they're using at the time. There are a ton of variables that go into line and fly weights, but I wouldn't worry too much about that right now.  Just get out and start casting to get a hang of the motion.

I'm mostly after bass these days, so I just use a heavy 6' length of untapered mono tied directly to the line. I bet Rob will have a ton of awesome info on his upcoming podcast on the ins and outs of leader and tippet lengths for the local species and water here, so definitely give it a listen.

Tight lines and have fun

- James

On Aug 25, 2020, at 4:10 PM, Rodrigo <rva...@gmail.com> wrote:


Thank you, Daniel. The information you provided is super helpful. My rod didn't come with a manual unfortunately, it's really a starter kit I got from amazon that I am hoping will help me with the basics of fly fishing before I can properly gear up. The information about the leader is super helpful, because my leader is a single string that gets thinner at the tippet. Can I ask you one more question? Can I just replace the tippet portion and keep the butt and mid section or do I have to replace the entire leader when I run out of tippet? I saw that I can just buy a tippet spool online. Thanks again. Rodrigo



On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:36 PM Daniel Lazenby <dlaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
There are others on this forum more qualified than me to answer your questions. These should help get you started.

Your reel is designed for either 5 or 6 weight lines.
20lb backing is appropriate for a 5. Should be okay for 6 weight line depending on size of target fish.
You can definitely get by with 50yds of backing. Did your reel come with any literature? If not, do a google search for its manual. The Manual should offer some recommendations on how much backing to use.

Leader/tippet can be confusing with the way they are interchangeably used. Think of a leader as having three parts, a butt section, a mid-section, and a tippet. The tippet is typically the last 24 or so inches of the leader. Leaders are primarily labeled according to the size of the tippet. different size tippets have different strengths and often work best with a specific range of fly sizes.

Hope this helps.

Daniel


On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:01 PM Rodrigo Vazquez <rva...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am new to fly fishing. I recently got a starter kit. Can I ask you a few questions about adding a line to my rod? I have a 5/6 weight  rod 9FT and 5/6reel (Does 5/6 means that I can add either 5 o 6 weight lines?). Can you advise me if the following line setup makes sense for this rod?

- Backing line - 55YDS 20lb
- Fly line - 100FT WF6F
- Leader- 9FT -- are there sizes for leaders? Do you have any recommendations?
- Tippet - Do I need one? I am confused about the difference between the leader and tippet. If so, are there sizes too?

I would greatly appreciate your help so that I can get started.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/48d73c5d-73b8-4598-9221-19de15da1f3bn%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/6fbHpPh5mxQ/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAJ51Mox0O2B2Qhg0JZtfdNP-FYksBM7Dr7CDOrP73kaZqTmD%2BA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/120f6de7-8bfc-49bf-8f39-52b7f03aebban%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment