Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} New to Fly Fishing - Help

Dear Rodrigo and Trevor, 

Welcome! One great way to meet a number of anglers at all levels is to join us for an upcoming Casting Church (if you can get free on the second Sunday of the month and make it to the far end of Fletcher's Cove Boathouse parking lot between 8 and 10 or 11). Watch for Art, Carl, and/or Regan's emails on this forum. 

Best, 
Owen

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 7:29:39 PM UTC-4 dlaz...@gmail.com wrote:
Rodrigo,
I agree with what James said about leaders and tippets. I too suggest listening to Rob's upcoming Podcast.

Like you mentioned Leaders can be expensive and tippet material not so much. Once I became comfortable with leaders and tippets, I began using what is called a "tippet ring". I cut the leader and tied the tippet ring right where the leader material had just begun to thin down to the tippet material diameter. From then on all I had to do was cut the old (too short) tippet from the ring and add the proper length of the new tippet and continue fishing. The only time I toss out leaders is when the leader breaks before the tippet ring. I can get almost an entire season on a leader doing this.

Some people complain about tippet rings messing with the art of the cast. With the way I cast I can't tell the difference between with or without a tippet ring.

Just something to think about when you get more down the road in this sport.
Please feel free to ask any questions. There are always people here who are willing to help.

Daniel


On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 4:10 PM Rodrigo <rva...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you, Daniel. The information you provided is super helpful. My rod didn't come with a manual unfortunately, it's really a starter kit I got from amazon that I am hoping will help me with the basics of fly fishing before I can properly gear up. The information about the leader is super helpful, because my leader is a single string that gets thinner at the tippet. Can I ask you one more question? Can I just replace the tippet portion and keep the butt and mid section or do I have to replace the entire leader when I run out of tippet? I saw that I can just buy a tippet spool online. Thanks again. Rodrigo



On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:36 PM Daniel Lazenby <dlaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
There are others on this forum more qualified than me to answer your questions. These should help get you started.

Your reel is designed for either 5 or 6 weight lines.
20lb backing is appropriate for a 5. Should be okay for 6 weight line depending on size of target fish.
You can definitely get by with 50yds of backing. Did your reel come with any literature? If not, do a google search for its manual. The Manual should offer some recommendations on how much backing to use.

Leader/tippet can be confusing with the way they are interchangeably used. Think of a leader as having three parts, a butt section, a mid-section, and a tippet. The tippet is typically the last 24 or so inches of the leader. Leaders are primarily labeled according to the size of the tippet. different size tippets have different strengths and often work best with a specific range of fly sizes.

Hope this helps.

Daniel


On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:01 PM Rodrigo Vazquez <rva...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am new to fly fishing. I recently got a starter kit. Can I ask you a few questions about adding a line to my rod? I have a 5/6 weight  rod 9FT and 5/6reel (Does 5/6 means that I can add either 5 o 6 weight lines?). Can you advise me if the following line setup makes sense for this rod?

- Backing line - 55YDS 20lb
- Fly line - 100FT WF6F
- Leader- 9FT -- are there sizes for leaders? Do you have any recommendations?
- Tippet - Do I need one? I am confused about the difference between the leader and tippet. If so, are there sizes too?

I would greatly appreciate your help so that I can get started.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/48d73c5d-73b8-4598-9221-19de15da1f3bn%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/6fbHpPh5mxQ/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAJ51Mox0O2B2Qhg0JZtfdNP-FYksBM7Dr7CDOrP73kaZqTmD%2BA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ab4d02f7-a08e-4d59-b545-2d92420c28d3n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment