Thursday, August 13, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} MURRAY'S MTN TROUT ROD

Lisa,
No, I didn't cast Murray's mountain rod.
I already had a 6' 6" graphite rod with a small stream designed fly line. Like so many things my rod hasn't been in production for a couple of years now.

Daniel


On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 4:32 PM Lisa Stewart <stewartlisa398@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for that in depth description.  It helps with my decision making for the class.  I took the small mouth bass all day class this July and found it to be excellent.  The instructor was very informative and worked with me for quite some time as well.  I stopped counting after I landed 20 bass, and I came away feeling like I had learned a ton and ready to be successful fishing for SMB on my own.  And I have.  I would strongly recommend Murray's classes. 
Did you get a chance to fish with his MMT rod?  If you did, I'd love to hear your impressions of it.  I'm thinking of buying one.

thanks, Lisa

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 10:46 AM Daniel Lazenby <dlazenby4@gmail.com> wrote:
Lisa,
FWIW, I took his small mountain stream class in April a couple of years ago. There were 5 of us. The morning started out at Graves Mountain where Murray's son Jeff taught the class. It was very similar to the lecture Murray gives in his shop on Saturday's. Except Jeff has a different (less marketing) way of explaining things that worked better for me. From the classroom we went into the Rapidan WMA to fish the Upper Rapidan River. (Not sure if they always go there.) We stopped about a half mile downstream from the Rapidan Cabins. Jeff was very open to questions and clarifying things. Jeff did a short in stream practical demo and discussion in the stream. For me this demo made a world of difference in my learning to read water. Then Jeff spaced us out along the stream. He worked individually with each of us. I seem to remember he worked with me for about 45 minutes.

I was moving upstream to a new piece of water when he arrived.So I took the opportunity to describe how I was reading the water and my strategy for fishing the different parts. He offered constructive advice about how I was reading the water and made some suggestions about why I might want to consider a change in my approach to fishing the different spots. We turned over rocks and looked at  bugs. He watched my technique and offered constructive suggestions.

I'm always concerned I will not receive value equal to the price when I pay for fishing instruction/experiences.
For me, Jeff's on water demos and coaching made the class worth the price of admission.

Daniel


On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 10:28 AM Lisa Stewart <stewartlisa398@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, I'm wanting a good small stream rod.  I've been to his shop a few times and spoken with him.  I know he's considered as a small stream trout guru.  Having the versatility to cast flies, droppers, and small streamers is important to me.  Haveyou taken his small stream trout class?

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 9:00 AM Chris Young <cdyoung8@gmail.com> wrote:
I have one. It's great. It's basically an old Scott G blank. Unlike a lot of other small stream rods, it has enough backbone to toss a hopper-dropper or even small streamer.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/713581fd-64df-4047-b52a-43b1f62138e5o%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAKKR4GBU5w6KQM5or%2B54C0WFvmvw3BbTcFhG-0wHtz2it__jBg%40mail.gmail.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAJ51Moz4%2BJv09QAa8nNWV_xEUBTz%2BSSMP%2BuO2voVxUdm%2BMYhWw%40mail.gmail.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAKKR4GCVq2iG849SrO5GWWHpn_p8ngH4ywfLU%3DDaMg_Y4043Yg%40mail.gmail.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAJ51MoytPCHQ5FD1Eb-TwNX6Gj7vL2Kfw4S3CX_4a9O5hG-3fA%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment