Wednesday, November 29, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: TPFR - Help me pick out my next fly rod!

I third carl's suggestion on the Cabelas CGR, however I use a 3 weight for mountain streams.  It's an amazing rod for the price (can get it for 45 bucks around xmas sometimes). Its great for quick roll casting on the tiny shenandoah streams.  It can chuck dries fairly far, but accuracy takes a hit due to its slow action. Misha is spot on on the faster action rods.  I use my older 3 weight thats faster in the winter when i want to throw smaller streamers.  The 3 wt CGR gets a bit noodly when trying to throw heavier indicators and streamers.  That being said, it's fine for tossing an attractor as an indicator with a nymph dropper, just don't go too heavy.  If you are looking for a rod to hit a range of streams, or streams with a shot at some bigger fish, a 4 wt, as suggested by Andrew, would likely be a good choice.  I may soon go that route myself, but with accotink and holmes, a 3 weight is fine IMO.  

Good luck!

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 11:24:17 AM UTC-5, Andrew Sarcinello wrote:
Agree with the fast action preference (especially since it sounds like small stream bass and bluegills are also a target) and that there is no need for shorter than 7'6".  I grew up fishing some TINY, extremely brushy trout streams in SE PA where larger streams all get too warm for wild trout (with a few notable exceptions). I had a 7'6" 5 wt and often wished I had a longer rod to drop flies around logs and bushes.  There are few situations on a trout stream where a bow and arrow, sidearm, or roll cast won't get the job done - it pays to develop skill with those techniques rather than spend more money on a specialty super short rod.  Which is not to say those who enjoy using short rods can't also do all of the above, but I tend to view those rods as a toy that I haven't found a need for yet in 8 years of small stream obsession-level fishing.  

In my opinion SNP brookie streams are wide open casting compared to where I used to fish.  And on smaller bass/panfish creeks, you'll probably have even more space than a trout stream, so a somewhat longer fast action 4 wt is a good fit there.

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 5:12:55 PM UTC-5, Misha Gill wrote:
I may be in the minority when I say that I prefer a fast action small stream rod (I have a 7'6" 3 wt), but here's my $0.02:

1) Bow and arrow casts are more accurate and the rebound of the rod does not tend to smack the ground as much. Accuracy is the more important consideration, but it is kind of disconcerting hitting your rod tip on rocks.

2) A fast action rod helps cast small streamers. Some days that's what the fish want. I have fished a kreelex on the Savage with my rod, and only really suffer a disadvantage at really long range, (for a streamer that would be 40'+) but that's too far out to be fishing a streamer for trout on the east coast anyways.

I've never felt the need for anything shorter than 7'6". I think it's a perfect length. If I had my druthers I would own a high end Orvis, Winston, Sage, what have you, in 7'6" 3wt but I have a Redington Path and I love it (Thanks Richie!). 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/7492f818-6fbb-4a9d-a3bf-9f9d6df330a9%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment