Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Costa Sunglasses Lens Color

Howard,

You are correct.  It's not glass, it's high impact poly, but it IS ANSI AND MIL rated.


They can make certain prescription lenses on poly. 

Thanks for correcting that.

Regards,


R


On Nov 14, 2017, at 2:02 PM, 'Howard Abramowitz' via Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com> wrote:

ugh I was just offering my 2 cents on the issue, and I really do my best to avoid online arguments, but since this is safety related, and several of the replies seem to be directly contradicting my sentiments and providing false information I give in.

I'll preface this by the fact that I fully expect this never to be an issue for anyone reading this. The odds of a fly shattering a glass lens and embedding shards in your eye seem minute, and more likely than not the glass will provide protection for fishing rather than an increased danger. However, I imagine given the number of fly fisherman and the progression of time it will eventually happen. I went from the 580G to 580P glasses because of the weight, it made a difference for me, but hey, I could just be sensitive. I did not do it for safety reasons, and given my personal priors on the low likelihood of the event, I would not personally make the decision of glass vs plastic based on safety alone.

That said: 
Costa plastic lenses are impact resistant, their glass lenses are NOT. You can look for a Z87+ on the frame of the glasses if you see it then they are "impact resistant". That doesn't mean Rob can't drop his 580Gs or have flies/branches/kids hit them without damage. It means they are not ANSI Z-87.1 approved for impact resistance. It means if your job site requires safety glasses to be impact resistant these are not acceptable, but you can fish or do whatever else you like with them, and they will be significantly more impact resistant than a champagne flute.

Costa doesn't advertise this and I can find nothing stating to the contrary but the website specifically calls out the plastic lenses as impact resistant and not the glass. The tech specs I found also list the 580 P as Z87.1 compliant. I found nothing of the sort for the glass. If your 580G glasses have a Z87+ on them then I am wrong, but I doubt it.

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/performance-technology/580-lenses.html

http://www.cabelas.com/assets/product_files/pdf/712928_580p_techinfo.pdf

Perhaps plenty of prescription safety glasses exist with glass lenses, I don't have a prescription so I've never looked for prescription safety glasses. I have several coworkers who do wear prescription safety glasses and a quick unscientific survey found their lenses are all plastic. Again feel free to prove me wrong.

As for ballistic glasses. I glanced at a few websites, oakley's are perscription balistic glasses are plastic. I could not find any info on the smith website so I actually called their customer service and talked with them and was told they do not make ballistic shooting glasses with a glass lens, they are only available in polycarbonate.  

Rich, I may have misinterpreted but I took "Smith ignitor Elite glass" to mean they have glass lenses, in which case you may want to double check that they are ballistic rated. Also ballistic glasses have a more stringent military specification for impact resistance (MIL-PRF-31013), the Z87+ rating would not make them ballistic glasses.

Howard

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 9:08:58 AM UTC-5, Brad wrote:
Richard covered most of what I was going to say. 

There are also plenty of safety rated glass lenses out there and Costa's glass is impact resistant. With a full wrap frame, the weight savings is negligible going with plastic. The only damage I've done to them is burn pits in them wearing them while grinding metal (Yup. I'm also the guy that will climb under your car to look at something in his best suit) and this pair I have is over two years old. I'm nearsighted and get Costa's prescription glass in the copper with green mirror. I fish offshore a fair amount in super bright sunlight and they work great. I've never liked gray lenses - generally too dark and not enough contrast for me. 



On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 9:36:20 AM UTC-7, William Hea wrote:
I broke my grey Costa Hatches on a roller coaster. The repair costs for new lenses cost as much as a new pair of hatches, so I'm going to buy a different model with full frames instead. 

What color lenses do you suggest for fishing around trees and the environment we have in the DC area? I found my grey lenses to be a little too dark in the shade. Also, is there a big difference between glass and plastic lenses? I'd prefer 1 general purpose set of glasses, but I could be convinced to do eventually purchase 2. 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/2133740a-b81d-4616-94d8-b9985562d19a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment