Tuesday, November 28, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: TPFR - Help me pick out my next fly rod!

My vote would be the 4 wt 7'6".  TFO makes very good, reasonably priced rods (under $200).  As for rod length, even on small streams I think longer rods are better for line control and brush can be avoided by using either a bow-and-arrow or roll cast, and a longer rod increases your distance on those casts.  The 4 wt will better handle any decent sized bass you may run into as well.

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 9:35:32 AM UTC-5, Brian Cohen wrote:
Good morning TPFR....

I have been messing around with my 9 foot, 6-weight Echo rod for the last year and a a half, catching lots of shad, the occasional bass, and a whole mess of bluegill.   I've also gone out for trout a few times, without much luck, and I'd like to change that.

The six-weight is great for fishing on the Potomac and the Shenandoah, but I am thinking about a smaller and lighter rod for smaller streams and trout.  
I live in DC, and love to fish Rock Creek.   I like small streams -  fished once this past summer at Hemlock Overlook and thought it was great.  I mainly have time for trout at Holmes Run and Accotink, with the occasional foray further out.

So I'm thinking about a 3- or 4-weight, either 7' or 7'6", and I can't figure out which would be best.

Would be curious to hear your thoughts on pros and cons, or if there is another weight/length combo I should be considering.  And if you have any specific suggestions for a relatively inexpensive rod, please weigh in with them  (I am trying to keep the rod relatively inexpensive because I figure my money is better spent on 1) A good fly line, and 2) A casting lesson or two).

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience,

Brian




--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/4c217eb3-528f-40c9-a35c-7931bb0f39d1%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment