Monday, April 27, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Holmes Run 4/26

Knot tying is one of those things where attention to detail makes a big difference (if it truly is knot failure and not something else).  I used to tie poor clinch knots in my spinning days, and had problems with breakage more often than I'd like to admit.  

I switched to a different knot and had instant, very good success with it.  The irony is that NOW I tie clinch knots well and use them sometimes ;).  Details!  

Most of the fly shops have folks who tie excellent knots if you want to see them in person.  I've said if before, but Rich Farino at Urban ties wonderful knots.  With 3x tippet you should have a tippet > fly knot that is fairly hard to break when hung on the bottom.  If not, choose a different knot.  I'm actually amazed at how much tension you can put on even light line with a good knot.  

___

I think the trout don't last much longer than the DGIF "lifting" of the delay on harvest ;).  Poaching is so bad as it is, it's a wonder they survive beyond a couple of weeks.  I can't tell you how many aluminum cans with string I've removed from trees at my stream out back.  It's unsightly, and (currently) illegal.  I carry a pocket knife just for it.  

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 3:11:25 PM UTC-4, Texican wrote:
That's a good question.  To be fair, my leader was an old knot less 3x flouro I had lying around. By the time I hooked into the trout, I'd blood knotted some 3x flour tippet I purchased in the last month locally.  The breaks seemed to be at the fly.  I'll reassess my kit and adjust accordingly. 

I was so geeked up to have even hooked my first trout (let alone 3) that I didn't even mind the break offs.  Some times the fishing is enough and the catching is just gravy on a nice day on the water/sewer flow.  :-)

Anyone's guess on how long these trout might last barring some bad run off/discharge?

-John  

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 10:17:26 AM UTC-4, Yambag Nelson wrote:
Are you using old tippet?  A fish that size shouldn't be breaking the tippet unless you are using like 8x.

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 7:41:21 PM UTC-4, Texican wrote:
Wife gave me a kitchen passnforbthe afternoon so I decided to hit Holmes run for panfish and whatever else I could fund. Water was off color, so no surprise. Managed two blue gills and my first trout ever(*).  I literally lost three rainbows with leader in hand. First trout was a solid +15-18 inches.  That won broke off over water as I had him waist level.  Second trout broke off same scenario but right at the waters edge and flopped in to the water.  Third and final, broke off same way but in really shallow water.  Line broke at the hares ear.  I could see the fly at the edge of its mouth.  I guess I should invest in a landing net in the future or take better care of my tippet. :-) Was a great way to break in my new fiberglass 5wt.  

All trout hiokee in same well fished pool. Had a few of missed trout strikes in the two different pools. I'm surprised these trout are still around. How much longer do you think they'll last?

Tight lines. -John

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/fd38777f-205c-4225-9ec2-6f67c9da4a52%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment