Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Noob at Roaches Run


Gadsden,

Rob hit the nail on the head...just like he hit the Fletchers dock with his boat Sunday morning...I saw that Rob :)
 
We probably just missed each other yesterday Gadsden, I scouted the duck pond to make sure the water wasn't to off color to fish the Potomac side at Gravelly Point for Stripers. I saw a ton of herring in the duck pond and when I went to Gravelly I caught mostly Perch and Herring, with a few Hickories mixed in.
 
As Rob said, Small Clousers will get the job done. I suppose shad flies would work as well but instead of going smaller, why not go bigger and see if you can trick a fish that may be feeding on Perch or Herring? I went to a 2/0 Half and Half and fooled a good sized Largemouth that eventually jumped and came off.
 
You will find the same where you were fishing but I think that the floating line may have been the deal breaker. That section by the inflow/outflow is deeper than you think especially with the high water we have right now...and once the tide starts to move you are not getting nearly as deep as you think you are.
 
Maybe wait for the water to come down a bit and get yourself a sinking line, I am sure there is a big Largemouth in the Duck pond with your name on it!
 
-TJones
 
Oh, I did find two Stripers at Gravelly, 7 inches and 8 inches respectively.


On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 6:44:16 PM UTC-4, Gadsden Merrill wrote:
Nice, I'll try that.  Should I be casting to hit them on the head or stripping past them?

Also, I coulda sworn I saw the big red gills of a largemouth during some of those splashes...

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/62b68427-184d-4fd9-abc5-3d63e41882e4%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment