Monday, April 21, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Rappahannock River Report

I had a few hours available Easter morning to target shad.  I don't have a sinking line yet so I decided to try the Rappahannock because the shad fishing there is generally in shallow water.  I purchased a sinking tip from Orvis on Friday and that was all I needed to get in to the fish.  I fished the east end of the small island that is a couple hundred yards upstream of the Route 1 bridge.  I caught 20 or so Hickory Shad between 11-1:30 and the color of choice was white and red.  All of the fish I caught were in 4 feet of water on the retrieve straight upstream after I cast across and let it swing.  This is my second year of putting serious effort in to the fly-rod, and was probably the best day I've had with it yet.  Most of that has to do with the number of fish in the river but it's nice to be at a point now where every third back-cast isn't in a tree.  The Rapp is full of fish and there is plenty of room for everyone.

On Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:18:03 PM UTC-4, HeaveToo wrote:
I went down to the Rappahannock River today at Falmouth.  The bite was slow but steady.  In three hours I caught 10.  I lost a few and had a lot of other hits.  They were taking chartreuse and white streamers.  Everyone that I saw at the river was catching fish.

This was my first shad trip of the year.  I saw a lot of activity and they are really starting to move.  Most of the shad I caught were Americans.

The other nice thing is that 6 of the 10 fish I caught were very big.  I am talking extra-large.  I caught a few of the normal 14-17 inch shad (4) but the other six were nice.  One of them was a beast!  I am wondering if it is the quality of the run this year, the timing, or some other factor but this is an overall better quality of fish for this trip.  I hope that this holds out.

I did all of my fishing above the Route 1 bridge on the Fredericksburg side.  It is tricky wading and please be careful because the water is slightly high, slightly off colored, and moving quick. 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/6f5c9c0f-c59c-490f-8cc3-57e007d5b54f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment