Friday, April 25, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Delaware river info needed

Hi Terry,
 
I am camping on the Delaware that same weekend. This will be the 20th year - same weekend and campsite - Cedar Rapids. Barryville is on the Mainstem - the fishing is usually fantastic. We do either an 18 mile kayak trip downriver to Mongap or get dropped off up river about 11 miles and take the trip down. There are a ton of campsites in that area. Cedar Rapids is pretty good and right on the river. It also has a bar and resturant on site. This year they have new management and supposedly new kayaks and rafts.
 
I primarily spin fish but that trip I pretend for at least one day that I can fly fish. There are tons of smallmouth, panfish and that weekend the shad are usually still there and will hold right at the campsite above a decent set of rapids. . I have caught at least one  trout every year except for last year. All the trout I have caught were at the mouth of the feeder creeks that empty into the river.
 
I have never fished the East or West Branch - but if you are after trout that is where you should probably focus.
 
As of last year there are some new regulations about river use. If the river is over 6 ft you are not allowed out. Last year we had to wait a few hours because we had a pretty heavy rain the night before. The river moved so fast that we all did the 11 mile trip back to Barryville in less than three hours with very litte paddling and the fishing was horrible.
 
The National Park Police are insane as well. I have been stopped every year. They have to deal with alot of knuckleheads on the river and really do not cut any slack. PFD's if not worn may  not be obstructed at all. If you have anything over them or have them tied to the boat, raft or kayak you will be ticketed. As we all know they should be worn anyway!
 
I just purchased my NY 7 day license - for 28.00.  Not sure about the branches but on the Main Stem you can have a PA or NY licesne. I am from The Bronx so I always get a NY Non Resident -  I think it works out cheaper than the PA one - pretty sure in PA you need a trout stamp as well.
 
Here is a hotline that gives you river height status - 845-252-7100.
 
If you end up in that area let me know. I will be there early Friday. I am camping with 7-10 guys and only 1 other person fishes.

 

 

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:04:20 PM UTC-4, Terry C wrote:
I am planning a two day trip to the Delaware river with my son May 31/June 1st. Most likely I will be camping. Anyone with first hand info on west branch vs east branch vs main stem I would love to hear it. Also any guid recommendations also. Thanks in advance.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/d6922335-7e5c-4dbd-802f-d4b96fe59b49%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment