Monday, April 21, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Columbia Island or Occoquan?

Thanks HeaveToo.  I went out Saturday afternoon and fished between 4-7PM from my kayak working the Occoquan from the park to just below the dam.  The water was very high and muddy, I've not see the tailwaters below the dam so fierce.

I got nothing, I'm guessing my flies were a bit big (#4 and a #6) but there were a lot of shad there breaking. It's a humbling reminder that I'm not smarter than the fish.

I talked to a guy who was trolling and claimed 40 fish.  There were people all over the banks catching a one or two fish each.  I also saw a couple fishing from a bass boat near the dam.  The wife was fly fishing and caught about five that I saw, her husband caught maybe three on his spinning rod.  I heard a story about a kid who caught a striper from shore.  Didn't see anyone catch any myself, though I saw a dead schoolie in the water.

On Friday, April 18, 2014 1:54:20 PM UTC-4, HeaveToo wrote:
I haven't hit the Occoquan this year, yet....

Currently the river is high and muddy.  It might be tough fishing there.

On Friday, April 18, 2014 8:34:08 AM UTC-4, HermanY wrote:
Hello All -

I want to take my big hulking sea kayak out for a spin on Saturday and was going to bring a rod.  I'm not comfortable launching it from Fletcher's and would rather put in at Columbia Island or Occoquan.  Interested in tangling with schoolie stripers or shad.  Any recommendations based on how the season is going?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/17f7ef0b-78bb-4061-ab77-1dd31876d96c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment