Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: POTOMAC SHAD UPDATE??

I saw a LARGE goldfish/koi leaping through the outflow at 4MR this past weekend as if it were a salmon. Perhaps it was one of those?

On Apr 30, 2013 10:21 AM, "Matt S." <mgs71@verizon.net> wrote:
I can't predict the future but I think an excellent chance there will be shad in the river this weekend -- have at it!  

I skulked out from work a little early yesterday afternoon and in short order was on shore casting from the rocks about a .25 mile above Fletchers. It was a great time; I caught only four, not a gazillion like others, but it was a sight to behold! They are leaping out of the water and bigger fish are chasing them. Besides the usual mallards and geese the area around the river is lousy with cormorants (no doubt eating the fish), and I also saw a bald eagle, ospreys, blue herons, and an owl being chased around by some sparrows.  Weirdly, a fish at least 2.5 feet long leaped up like a breaching whale about 20 feet away from me, doing what I'm not sure -- it was not  a striper or a snakehead, had a yellowish color - maybe a huge carp?  Cat?  I've never seen them do that before.

There were probably a hundred fishermen out and about but they are spread out all over so I did not feel crowded.  In retrospect I think I might have caught more had I been more patient to let the line get down deeper. I'd count to 10 or 15, maybe 30 or 40 seconds would have been the trick... dunno. I do know I wound up losing every shad fly I had over the space of 3 hours hanging up on the rocks--hence my reluctance to wait too long before retrieving--so be sure to bring a bunch of them. A few weeks ago pink did the trick for me, yesterday all my fish were caught on clousers and shad flies with a lot of chartruese in them. Good luck!
- Matt

PS:  Oh, and with a name like Daddio, I really hope you know how to Lindy Hop!  


On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:54:04 AM UTC-4, paul daddio wrote:
Was thinking about renting a boat out of Fletcher's this weekend. Will the shad run still be going strong?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/ILJXj7QdPNYJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment