Monday, October 12, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Kayaking Severn River Tips

I had no idea stripers were that bad to eat.

On Monday, October 12, 2020 at 9:32:20 AM UTC-4 westh...@gmail.com wrote:
Yes I generally keep all blue catfish I catch. The blue catfish is pretty safe to eat especially when all the skin and fat is stripped away. I don't go fishing enough or catch enough catfish to eat it too often.

On Monday, October 12, 2020 at 9:13:58 AM UTC-4 spst...@gmail.com wrote:
You keep catfish from the tidal Potomac? I hope you're not eating too much of it or too often.




-Sean


From: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Wesley Zhao <westh...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 7:58:48 AM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Kayaking Severn River Tips
 
Hey I went Kayaking Around the Gravelly area from 0600 to 1PM.

My catch for the day was 6 striper around 14-16" and 3 nice blue catfish 5-7 lbs (I kept all 3).

My method was to troll on both my rods. There not much use to casting a fly rod traditionally because you need to hit a depth and it is exhausting to do it from kayak. I found the bridges and the mouth of gravely point to be the most productive. I wish I went to the washington channel, but the waves had become annoying to paddle against in the afternoon.

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 9:12:26 PM UTC-4 SCK wrote:

Hi Wes.  I have been recently trying Kayak fishing from Gravelly too... did you have any luck?   My strategy thus far has just been trying fishing any structure/overhanging trees near the banks with small Clousers.  I get some here & there but didn't have too much success this summer.   


On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 1:34:13 PM UTC-4 westh...@gmail.com wrote:
There is a small craft advisory so I will not be launching into the Severn unfortunately. I'll stay in the DC area and launch from Gravelly.

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 11:57:57 AM UTC-4 Wesley Zhao wrote:
Hey I definitely would like to go fishing on OCT 17 or 18. I have been successful wading around Fletcher's cove, but that is a really slippery area so if you are not sure of foot I would not recommend it

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 9:42:18 AM UTC-4 tlkend...@gmail.com wrote:
Hey Wesley,

I will be out of town this weekend but would definitely be interested in getting together at some point to go fishing. I do not own a kayak, but live in the area and fairly new to fly fishing. Let me know if you ever want to get together.


On Oct 8, 2020, at 8:29 AM, Wesley Zhao <westh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello All,

I was wondering is anyone was open to kayak fish the Severn River this saturday 10/10. I mostly lurk on here for info. I'll have an 8 wt rod and fish 2 clousers but I also plan to spin fish with a swimming jig. I kayak in an Oru Beach LT kayak, and so far it has worked wonderfully.

Any tips for success? I have had success putting a 7ips sinking leader on my floating line. It is easy to cast and to mend in the water while letting me drop a fly deep.

A little bit about myself, I moved to DC 2 years ago after college. I work as a wastewater engineer and as a guardsmen in the PA guard

Thanks!

Wes

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/53ce18aa-cb1e-4d0a-86c6-edf743c0e408n%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/6192e858-36a2-469e-a84a-f942e91b090fn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment