Monday, October 5, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Fall Trout Water within 2 hours of the DMV?

I'm not sure what everyone's definition of decent is exactly,  But I have always like Passage Creek outside front royal.  Not too far,  Just stocked this week.  put and take and C&R sections.  I think its a petty stream for VA stocked water.  Weekends can be busy and you should probably wear an orange hat,  but that's the case anywhere I suppose.  

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 9:41:47 AM UTC-4 don...@gmail.com wrote:
Mossy and the Shenandoah valley spring Creeks or the NB Potomac/Savage are probably your next closest best-bets for bigger, more reliable water.

On Friday, October 2, 2020 at 8:27:17 PM UTC-4 tstee...@gmail.com wrote:
Savage River Tailwater.  There's a shop right on the river at least there was a few years ago last time I was there.  Call ahead to check.  A bit of a drive but flows should be good.

Difficult wading.  Very slick rock bottom.  

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020, 2:24 PM Michael Ilecki <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for finding decent Trout waters within a couple hours of the DMV during October?

For the group, I went up to Gunpowder yesterday, 10/1/20 and the flow is so low the fish are really spooked and many areas are borderline unfishable due to the low water level. I started my day at Big Hunting Creek MD in Catoctin Park and I didn't even cast a line after I saw how low the water level is currently. I knew the water would be low based on NGS charts but, it was even worse than expected. I'm not really interested in targeting Sunfish, Chubs, or Smallmouths but, I would like to find some "bigger water" where I can actually cast a 4-5 weight to some receptive Trout. Any suggestions?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/cd4d10ec-eaee-4bed-905d-48e8ee3c0c5dn%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/d09b13a2-fb26-4689-aad8-911afff3a28fn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment