Thursday, October 4, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Holmes

I parked at the pool and fished the section around there today in the late afternoon until dar. I tried to start slow and observe, because I am a newbie and need any help I can get. 

First off, there was more trash than expected and some stretched of water just smelled foul. Despite that I saw large numbers of small fish, including bass (mostly 6-8 inches), a school of 50 of something of the 2 inch size (shad? any guesses?), a few small carp, and a ton of tiny bluegill. No trout seen. 

I tried a copper nymph, and golden retriever, and a dry fly. Nothing got the bass interested, and everything I did scared off the carp. The bluegills were too small to take the hook, but went after the nymph and golden retriever. 

Any suggestions? When does this get stocked with trout? I'll be at Monday's fly tie if you have any advise or stories! 

On Friday, November 21, 2014 at 5:56:22 PM UTC-5, FlyTymes wrote:


Fished Holmes Run today. Got out late, lost the sun and it got chilly, especilly sticking the hands in the drink. Fish were holding deep in the pools. 6-12 per, saw a few darting around the shallows. Passed a gentlemen swinging streamers, he said he had "no luck, but they were following". Well i may have cheatefd but i hung a nymph about 6 in under an oragne egg and it worked out well. Good portion of them turned on it and had 4 take. Fished from the downed tree by the pool up to the first crossing, 3 hrs.

Im not familiar with the area but through this website and the VDGIF I found my way to Holmes. Also stopping today at Orvis to increase my arsenal I was invited to your next "Beer Tie". First impression of this group is impressive. 

Cheers. Safe Travels,

Bret

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/81c9dc9d-d8cd-4d0a-b500-1b0df4312ee2%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment