Sunday, October 28, 2018

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: New in town

sorry I only fished rock creek in the MD, didn't know DC would have different regs, makes sense though as it transitions to a national park in DC, right?


If you are willing to go up into PA or NY you can get salmon runs that come out of the lakes, but from what I've been told the salmon fishing is combat fishing. They also have a fish they call a steelhead, and technically it is a steelhead, but the fight isn't anywhere near the same as the fish on the west coast, but they do get quite large.   

I fished ships creek once and never went again, I really liked symphony lake and crescent lake down near Moose Pass as well. So many great options. I alsways forget about the berries, I remember hiking skyline traverse one time when I brought my wife up, we packed in water and snacks and ended up just stuffing our faces with all the berries. That was my first experience with watermelon berries.                 

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 2:41:32 AM UTC-4, Brian Cohen wrote:
Hi Brian - Rob's email has tons of great info, but just wanted to clarify about Rock Creek.   In DC, you can fish all of Rock Creek from Porter Street down to the where it meets the Potomac.   There are some surprisingly decent spots in both the upper and lower stretch.   I've caught bass, catfish, stripers, creek chub, and tons of bluegill in the upper stretches, and in the lower stretches anything in the Potomac is likely to come into the Creek.  

I am not a particularly experienced or accomplished fly fisherman, but I really enjoy fishing Rock Creek - something about catching a nice fish on a surprisingly attractive  stretch of stream smack dab in the middle of the city makes it really special - and I'd be happy to go out with you sometime.  Just send me an email when spring rolls around.

You'll need a DC license, and - given CSOs - you should avoid fishing it within 48-72 hours of a heavy rain.  A four- or five-weight with a floating line works fine for Rock Creek.

BC

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 8:44 AM robert mills <robertm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Brian, 

I work out of Anchorage and Kenai a fair bit in the summer so I can definitely relate, a day hike up to rabbit lake or fishing the mouth of the kenai was always an option that I don't have here. A big trout here is a snack for a lot of the trout up in AK


I'm currently down in southern VA fishing for stripers off my wife's dock, I've caught a few fish in the low-mid 20s, but mostly sub 20in fish, I've also caught some speckled trout and bluefish, and foul hooked a shad on my spinning rod (use that to see if anything is around). I haven't had much luck fishing for stripers from shore up north with a fly rod, but from a boat I've had great luck. If you are new to stripers I'd suggest booking yourself a one day charter with a guide and asking lots of questions. Jeff Lewatowski (http://www.fishlews.com/) is who I've gone out with and its always been fun, he also guides trout fishing on the various streams in MD. I suggest Jeff as he is one of the few guides who is a fly fisherman, not just someone who will allow you to fly fish off their charter boat, and he'll supply rods and flies. 

as for gear to get I'd suggest investing in a sinking line or tip for your 8wt, some of the spots I've been told to fish for stripers like kent island narrows is deep and has strong currents, it'll also come in handy for shad. I've also found that chartruese and white deceivers and clousers work the best for stripers, and the bigger and fuller the body the better they take. I tied up a big ugly 5in C&W deceiver with UV2 super hair on a 3/0 hook and had it smashed constantly until I lost it to a decent sized bluefish at the dock.


As for shad I've fished for them right in georgetown at fletcher's cove, you will definitely need heavy shad darts and a sinking tip for those when they are running, I know a lot of people go down there to spey fish as well. Shad can be quite fun but aren't particularly acrobatic, imagine them as kinda like greyling in terms of fight. You'll also need a DC licence to fish fletcher's but its $16 annual and can be purchased online.

I've been fishing a few rivers in PA (spruce, spring, penns) and the Gunpowder just north of baltimore. The gunpowder is a great relaxing river, fish aren't large but are fun on lighter tackle. These guys may call me crazy but I've been scandi fishing caddis and streamers on my 3wt trout spey ( equal to ~5wt singlehand) the last few times I've been out there and have been doing well and covering a lot of water with little backcast. When the water was up real high I was hucking a 10ft t8 sink tip on a light skagit line and really getting a streamer down and that seemed to be the ticket when everyone else was having no luck on nymphs.

You also mentioned Rock Creek, it is actually illegal to fish rock creek except at lake needwood, at least that was what I was told by an officer one day while I was out microfishing off one of the bridges. However the outlet at needwood to the creek is open for fishing and is super productive for various species.

Another note I've heard some people fish the tidal basin, it'd be worth it just to go down and get a photo of a catch with the monuments in the background, don't know of the legality of it, perhaps someone here can chime in.



Rob



On Thursday, October 25, 2018 at 6:45:01 PM UTC-4, smith.b...@gmail.com wrote:
Hey All,

Just wanted to introduce myself and apologize in advance for any dumb questions I ask regarding fishing in the area. I just moved from Alaska and am certainly missing the ability to fish on my lunch break through the summer. I have been reading about the stripers and shad, two species I have never fished for, so feel like I definitely have a lot to learn. Would love any tips about what flies to use, and which methods work best. I have a 2, 5 and 8-wt rod, as well as lots of flies typical for trout, dollies, and grayling, but nothing specifically for stripers.

I have been walking the dogs at Rock Creek, but haven't seen anything moving in the water there. Any good tips for a newbie to the area? Any gotchas I should know before getting a line wet?

Thanks and tight lines!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to .
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/282e548d-f74c-4123-b4b3-f86d6deba319%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f952257c-396a-45cd-acda-ff3e6d9bc62e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment