Wednesday, June 20, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Fishing Report 6/16 - Little Patuxent near Savage Mill

I fish there regularly, usually once a week. The trick is to go on a weekday during the day. If you go on a weekend it's packed. I tried taking my brother for snakehead on a Sunday 2 weeks ago. We got there at 0615 and there were already three other guys fishing at the good hole. One of the guys had waded out into the middle of the hole, effectively rendering it spooked. Dumbies.

I always park at the bridge. You're better off staying on the South side of the river (where Savage Mill Trail is). The hole next to the mill is decent for panfish (there's a couple snakehead in there too). When they stock there are always a few dozen trout under the mill. Above the mill is a long, shallow section of water before you get to the really fast chute. Trout hang in there. Next to that chute below the big boulders jutting out into the water is a very slow pool. Smallmouth hang out there until snakehead show up, then it becomes snakehead central. Lots of them in there. Then you can go up to the falls and fish all through there. If any trout haven't been fished out they'll be holding bottom (it's around 8' deep). Lots of suckers migrated up through there in April. Smallmouth and largemouth are in that section below the falls, along with more snakehead. If you go above the falls you can catch trout all the way up to where the Middle Patuxent joins with the Little Patuxent, again, if they haven't been fished out already.

If you're going to wade then put on chest waders. Occasionally you'll be surprised with a drop off if you're unfamiliar with the bottom. After you've spent enough time there you can switch to hip boots and traverse it through the known shallow areas. If you're on the North bank you can wade out all the way up to the falls and only be in water to your mid-thigh.

On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 1:12:30 PM UTC-4, Eric Pardo wrote:
Hi all, 

First post here so I figure I'll start with a quick report. Headed down to the Potomac to wade for smallies without considering how high the water would be. Once I figured that was out of the question - I headed back home to MD to fish a spot closer to home. Settled on the Little Patuxent near Savage Mill. This was my first time actually fishing this water so this was mostly an exploratory trip. I arrived to find plenty of other anglers fishing the area (even a fellow fly angler). I managed one small smallmouth on a chartreuse clouser  right by the old mill before I decided to head upstream and check out the rest of the area. Didn't have much luck after that, though I found plenty of holes that looked fishy. I'll definitely be back there again sometime.

Does anyone know a better point to access the river? I found plenty of decently fishable spots by the old mill, but it was fairly packed with other fisherman and people there. I suppose I'll just explore more next time. I may even bring my paddleboard and attempt to paddle downstream next time. 

Besides that, it's great to have a group of fellow fly anglers in the area! I've lived in the area for about 5 years now, but haven't really explored all of the fishing opportunities until now since I've gotten a car and graduated from college. Looking forward to sharing more experiences with you all. 

Best,

Eric

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/e6247e88-cdd6-46c4-aa57-17a0acad637e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment