Tuesday, October 3, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Wetsuit wading?

How was Seneca last week with the gage height so low? 

Owen


On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 10:03:02 AM UTC-4, namfos wrote:
I think he was having you on, or he only owned old style PVC coated nylon waders with boot foots. The business about chest waders "sinking" you is an old wives tale disproved by Lee Wulff (I believe) many years ago. 

If it's cold enough, I'll wear waders and studded Vibram boots. More importantly a wading staff is a smart move. I was wet wading at Seneca Breaks on Friday and Lander on Sunday - water temps were mid- to hi-70s. If you're really anxious about falling in then I suggest one wear a PFD. 

IMO Maryland's strictures against felt soled wading boots is mistaken - studded felt works much better that studding Vibram. but I'm not willing to chance the incredible fine by wearing felt in MD.

Mark

On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 1:55:35 PM UTC-4, Barracuda wrote:
As the water temperatures drop quickly in the Potomac RIver (though the 80 degree days coming later this week might change that again...) I guess it's time to stop wet wading. 

Someone in the Potomac RIver Smallmouth Club told me decades ago that he never uses waders in the Potomac because the footing is so precarious due to slippery rocks and unseen holes, the likelihood of plunging in above the wader top is too great. I guess I unconsciously adopted that as gospel, though I'm now not so sure.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/c723c2bc-3ab1-4859-8cd1-a298b6154d55%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment