Thursday, July 20, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Kayak recomendations

I'm with TB on this one. I have both canoes and kayaks. If you will be single handing in moving water, you want a canoe. And a light one. I have a Wenonah Angler 15 and it is sub 50 pound royalex type boat. Indestructible and I wouldn't think twice about carrying it a mile on my shoulders. I have had heavy boats and you simply won't use them if you can't comfortably load and unload one by yourself. This particular boat is perfect for moving water as it has no keel and if you flip the boat around or kneel in the center it single hands better than a kayak on moving water IMHO. If you learn all your strokes, you can single hand with a canoe paddle or cheat and use a kayak paddle. It fishes two people with gear really well, but it won't handle too much weight (like I wouldn't plan on a multi-night overnight with 2 people using this boat). You won't find a kayak that can take 2 people that is as easy to single hand. It is really designed for fishing in mind. Beamy and great secondary stability. You can lean the gunnel clear down to the water with no trouble. It's initial stability is a little twitchy and takes some getting used to, but that is what makes it responsive on the water.  It also performs nearly as good as a whitewater boat. I couldn't think of a better craft for the the rivers in the area. 

I also own a Hobie Pro-Angler 12. I absolutely love it. I once thought pedals were a gimmick, but now I won't own a kayak without them. But I only use it in saltwater and only spin fish out of it. It weighs way too much to be car topped. I mean I have, but since we have 4 of them in the family, I now have a trailer that holds all 4 for our Mexico trips. I would not fly fish out of it. You sit too low to the water and, as TB said, it is super hangy/snaggy particularly because of the pedals. I absolutely love it for ocean fishing though with conventional tackle. I will regularly do 10-15 miles a day in Mexico and there is no easier way to cover miles and keep your hands free. I've landed some huge fish out of that boat and have been hooked to massive things I never saw. But it is well over 100 pounds and, even with two people, it is incredibly difficult to put on top of a full size truck. 

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 1:37:12 PM UTC-7, jcav...@gmail.com wrote:
Hello Everyone!

I am looking to get a fishing kayak to take out mostly on small lakes/ponds/rivers to fly fish and potentiually the Potomac for shad one day. I have zero experience in the matter and am wondering if anyone would share some input.  I would mainly like to get something that I can transport on my own ( I have a Tahoe) , including loading and unloading, and the most stability possible for standing and casting. I have read up on a few but again, I just don't know enough about it to make a decision.  I don't want to break the bank but also want to get something that will last and fits what I'm looking to do. I have looked at the bass pro ascend, cabelas advanced angler, as well as the nucanoe frontier line and free lure. all seem nice but would love some input. Any other suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks!!
Joe

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ee8c779d-7cb0-4370-bf7f-615956402fbd%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment