Thursday, July 13, 2017

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Watch out for ticks

The incident I described early in this thread resulted in me getting Lyme disease.  Since I've had family members who have had it, I've always been very aware of the early symptoms, which for me started a little over a week ago.  I went to see a doctor Tuesday night and was immediately started on antibiotics.  I am already noticing improvements and should be all clear after a few more weeks on the drug.  Catching it early is critical!!

My symptoms went as follows:

June 13 swarmed by ticks, a few bit and 2 weren't found until the next day. Quite likely I did not find all of them.
July 5-9 occasionally tired for no obvious reason, feeling slightly dizzy, occasionally a very faint headache
July 10-11 Add joint pain to the above and worsening headaches. Started in neck/upper back, spread to all major joints. 
July 11-now started antibiotics and have the same symptoms but gradually less intense.  Most likely I'll be completely fine in a few days but still have to finish the full course of antibiotics.

Had I let it go another few days I probably would have been unable to work and on my back at home with severe joint pain and a fever.

Notice I never had the characteristic bulls-eye rash around the bite area.  Some people think this always happens with Lyme and they must have something else if there is no rash.  This is not true, the rash only forms about two-thirds of the time.

I also was informed that if you find a deer tick and are concerned about getting Lyme, you can take a few doses of the antibiotic within 72 hours as a preventative measure.  I did not know this and will take advantage of this in the future.

Please be careful out there everyone! 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/79e25e2e-4cb6-4b8c-8eaf-f43987cde3ff%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment