Saturday, January 23, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: New to Fly Fishing

Dawson,

Turbine is largely correct.  While some principals apply to all casting, styles vary.  Get the basics down pat then adapt them to the casting situation.  Don't get sucked into the mindset that distance dictates casting proficiency, putting the fly where you want it far outweighs distance. Learn to honestly self evaluate your cast and get all the evaluations and help with your cast as you can. Many clubs and groups off free to inexpensive instruction, take advantage of that every chance you get. Then, I can't stress this enough, practice, on grass or water but practice regularly. Some fly fishing is just blind casting all day, some is casting to a suspect area and some truly is like hunting with a primitive weapon. I've found that all have their own set of rewards.  Good luck to you.


John M


On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 6:14:21 PM UTC-5, Dawson Hobbs wrote:
Hi there.  My brother has convinced me that I need to give fly fishing a try.  Unfortunately, he lives several states away.  I've done a pretty decent amount of fishing with spinning gear but never tried a fly rod.  He claims the strategy and skill is a lot more like bird hunting which I love and that I will quickly become addicted.  So, I'm probably opening a can of worms here but I'm looking for suggestions for a decent casting instructor in the area.  Any other tips appreciated as well.  I talked to the folks at the Orvis store in Arlington and they said you guys were a good group.  

Thanks in advance!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/30ee44f1-e06a-454e-8e01-e592eb387279%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment