Thursday, January 28, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Favorite nymphs?

Those are pretty ties Kevin -- very pleasing to the eye.  Variations of the second one are similar to what Beth and I use most often. 

I do not tie princes or copper johns because I just don't think they're worth the effort.  Clearly they're highly effective and many people love them -- just a preference.

We get by with a few patterns, but these have caught us the most trout:

1. #18-22 Al's rat (pupa, nymph -- the only difference is a bb split shot)
2.  #18-22 WD-40 (small baetis nymph, or emerger I suppose). 
3.  #16 bead PT nymph with ice dub collar (tied on a #16 wet fly hook, which is closer to a #18 or 20 in profile) -- this is probably the single biggest catcher for us
4.  Bead Weenies for the fall (usually #14 or 16)
5.  Bead soft hackles (#14 or 16)

I don't like nymph hooks because I think they're long and ugly, and they make the fly too damn big.  I do use them for weenies though.    

I think that "what fly were you using?" and "what's hatching?" are the two most unimportant questions in fly fishing. 

Gene

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 2:29:55 PM UTC-5, Kevin Huntington wrote:
Nymphs are just about all I tie, and I have an unhealthy obsession with PT variations as well as zebra variations.  Here's a couple I've tied in the past few weeks that have been doing really well for me this winter.


On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 10:55:13 AM UTC-5, Matthew Longley wrote:
https://vimeo.com/149007902I'm on a tying spree and refilling my nymph boxes, and figure that plenty of you folks are doing the same. Other than the typical PT / hare's ear / copper john / zebras, what are your go to nymphs?

I'll start - though I haven't had a chance to fish it yet, I love the look of the 3 dollar dip (tim flagler has a video), so I tied up a bunch of those in different colors.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/b711d263-0607-4f5c-9ad5-676f8109d9d2%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment