Friday, January 22, 2016

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Louisiana Redfish Trip

I'd mainly want black and/or brown clousers, and kwan shrimp. 

The supreme hair shrimp fly has worked well for me.

There's also a chance topwater flies, like a gurgler shrimp, could be helpful.

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 12:23:39 PM UTC-5, Ashley Frohwein wrote:
I don't have much time now to talk flies (I will later, and will post), but if you're going anytime soon, I'd probably NOT chuck crabs and/or spoon flies this time of year. In Jax at least, the crabs mostly all hibernate once the water drops to ~65 degrees, although there are a few mud crabs. I'd focus on shrimp, baitfish, and clousers. And of course different weights for each, depending on the depth of the water you'll be going for them reds in. Some brown tarpon flies work well.

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 11:36:01 AM UTC-5, Justin Schiavone wrote:
Nice. I have a flouro tapered leader left over from the salt, 16 lb, that I will probably use. I'm bring along some heavy, shitty mono that I use for butt sections and grab a spool of 20 flouro probably. As far as streamer fishing goes- even for trout- I think the two section, and sometimes three section, leaders are all you need.

That dude in the video throws 15-20 tippet though, so I think I may be in a good position with the 16. If I break any off I'll surely update this feed. I was surprised at the surgeon knots he used, and not a blood not. If anyone ties their own leaders you know what a challenge the tags pose when casting, especially in bigger diameters. Blood knots are just cleaner..

Let's talk flies. I saw the brown whistler was mentioned. I googled it, and a few patterns popped up. Is it the crazy Charlie style all brown? Right now I have crabs..  I have some those sideways crabs, weighted crabs, and snowhites redfish crab. I've got some crazy charlies, and some basic shrimp patterns. Clousers,  and some tarpon style streamers that maybe will work? I don't know.. What else should I tie up?


On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Richard Farino <ric...@urbanangler.com> wrote:
Ahh..   this town aint big enough for another guy named Rich from the Bronx who knows what he's talking about in the fly fishing world… 

R



Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313richard@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter



From: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ashley Frohwein <ashleyf...@gmail.com>
Reply-To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Friday, January 22, 2016 at 11:05 AM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Louisiana Redfish Trip

I think that's right (no need for a longer leader). I was just in uber-paranoid, I've gotta catch a red no matter what mode. I left nothing to chance. (Plus, I was also fishing for trout, and wanted a longer leader to get flies deeper on a floating line.)

Here's a good video from Capt. Rich Santos - who is big in the Jax redfish FF game - about how to construct your own leader for reds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhwmad16ZnY

I'm not saying his word should be taken as gospel, but dude def knows how to get into some reds.


On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 10:11:55 AM UTC-5, Connor Donovan wrote:
No need for a long leader either especially if you are sight fishing up close and personal.   I went on a trip in December and our guide made some 5-6 foot leaders of 50/50 40lbs to 20lbs sections.  But it probably depends on what state/area you're fishing too.  I've heard FL reds can get pretty leader shy.

But if you're using fluorocarbon, it doesn't hurt to go heavier. 



On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 4:19:39 PM UTC-5, Justin Schiavone wrote:
Nice dude. I think 16 will be okay too. Appreciate the feedback!

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 1:01:57 PM UTC-7, Ashley Frohwein wrote:
For what it's worth, I recently got into some reds while kayak fishing the backcountry mud flats during low tide in Jacksonville. Although it was probably unnecessary, I got mine on 12lb fluoro tippet tied to the end of a 9ft, 16 lb fluoro leader (for a total length of ~10.5'). Again, it was probably unnecessary (and Jeff's right that they're not leader shy, although I imagine that might change if they're in really low and clear water). But the biggest red I caught was ~24 inches; had it been bigger, I may have regretted my decision. As you probably know, it's really important to get a hard strip set with reds; 12lb surprisingly didn't prevent me at all from doing this. (Also, 12lb was totally fine for the many decent but not huge sea trout I caught in FL, too.)

 I really think you'd be fine with 16lb (which is the most I'll be using next time). 

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 1:52:35 PM UTC-5, Justin Schiavone wrote:
Thanks Jeff. Awesome post btw, those are some friggen pigs.

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 11:13:15 AM UTC-7, Jeff Silvan wrote:
Definitely not leader shy. They usually use 30lb test, but if the client requests they'll use lighter. If you want to try to stick a fly rod record, you can't use more than 20lb tippet anyway.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Justin Schiavone <justin.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
What size tippet/ leader were you rockin man? I am thinking 16 lb but after seeing this post I may need to reconsider? Are redfish leader shy at all?

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 2:03:35 PM UTC-6, Marek wrote:

Greg Moon is the man. I was down in NoLa in late April and he was still putting me on fish - ie March/April sucks for Red fishing.

 

From: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Silvan
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 2:45 PM
To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Louisiana Redfish Trip

 

Nick, I had Friday 10/16 through Monday 10/19 booked, but only got to fish the 16th. Saturday had an outside chance of fishing, but my guide wasn't confident enough conditions would hold and didn't want to run me just to take me on a crappy boat ride. The entire previous week and most the rest of the month was supposedly fantastic weather. Seems like that always happens to me! We didn't run into any jacks, but most of the schools of reds we found were not in locations jacks would generally go. And you didn't miss out on much with the black drum. It's cool to catch one or two, but they just don't fight hard. 10lb red fights better than a 30 lb black. Nonetheless, I can't wait to go back. My guide was already booked up for all but one day of October 2016 (so I took that), and I've already booked up my 4 day 2017 trip for this time next year.

 

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Nick F - Gaucho Fly <nfran...@gmail.com> wrote:

Great to hear you were just down that and had so much success. I wonder if we overlapped on any of the days or spots as a friend and I also fished NOLA last week with Doug Henson of Saltedflycharters and also had some epic fishing for a couple of those days, before weather rolled in. Though we did not get into any quantity of black drum we did get some shots at lots of reds and jacks, including this one and another that broke off on the hook set. As they say, always a good idea to check your leader after each fish caught...  Overall just an incredible fishery that everyone should try.  Nothing like watching 10 angry bull reds battling over a top-water fly or picking up the lone cruiser along a marsh edge.  Highly recommend adding this trip on the bucket list and surprisingly convenient to pull off considering the quality of the fishery. 

 



On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 6:24:09 PM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:

I had a four day trip booked to stick some redfish in the marshes of Louisiana with Greg Moon of Louisiana Fly Fishing Charters. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate, and the wind picked up too hard to fish the last 3 of the 4 days. BUT, the one day I got on the water was nothing short of phenomenal. In fact, the best day of fishing I have ever had, period. We lost count of the redfish after the first couple, but I wound up with somewhere around 20 or 25 redfish plus two black drum. I caught one "baby" fish that was about 12 lbs, one fish in the upper teens, and all the rest were in the 20 lb range, with the average being about 25 lbs and a few creeping close to 30 lbs. This time of year, the fish school up like crazy. We got into a school of thousands upon thousands of black drum, with some redfish scattered in it. In the picture "7056" you can see all the white spots in the water - those are all fish. Acres of them. This was one of two schools we fished all day. You quikcly stopped bothering fishing the black drum because they aren't nearly as excited. The second school we fished had far more reds in it. Towards the end of the day, I stopped even casting to fish that I didn't think had a shot to break 30. Absolutely unreal fishing. With how bruised and tired I was from day 1, I can't imagine was it would've been like it the weather held for me.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/471e7899-a4c0-45ab-99e3-aacd87fa27f2%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CANiFxBx7P7hXtRt7oj6-qCAfGtMM3-m1JW7R%2BmenL23_ani0TQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/036f30c0-41c5-4e2e-aa6a-2f45f38fdc30%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f2cdcd3e-bf5e-4d0c-90cf-16589df238cb%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/EmEckiv4ReI/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/D2C7BFB9.C60FA%25richard%40urbanangler.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/34ddc03b-18b3-4976-b4f3-86ac7f0f9d15%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment