Thursday, January 22, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re:

The savage is beautiful and I wished I fished it more.  It's very challenging and it feels good to hook a brown trout there.  

I once destroyed the fish in that 7X glide.  Our campsite had leaders with multiple green weenies still attached that some previous camper didn't bother to trash properly.

One of the above statements is a lie.  

Gene

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 9:50:57 AM UTC-5, Lane Thurgood wrote:
The driving distance from northern Virginia is prohibitive or I would fish them more. If you live near the North Branch, then you live near the Savage.  I have fished the North Branch but much prefer the Savage (which dumps into the North Branch near Luke, Maryland).  And explore the Savage's tribs for brookies.  A book you should consult is Gelso and Coburn's Guide to Maryland Trout Fishing which has chapters on both the North Branch and the Savage (among others).  They call the Savage Maryland's Hatch Factory.  The chapter on the North Branch has lots of good information, as well.
 
The reason people generally ply the North Branch is in hopes of a true trophy.  I have seen absolute pigs caught on spin tackle.  I haven't caught any pigs, but have found success on fine trout with big nymphs.  I have not had what I would call an amazing day on the North Branch.
 
But I would characterize a couple of my days on the Savage as amazing with plenty of above average sized browns and rainbows and my largest brookie in the East. 
 
I have even fished them both in cold winters when there on business and found fine fishing in both.
 

 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f1d0404f-917c-4f2e-b7de-0b3dc5a78b6d%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment