Wednesday, January 7, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Little Stoney 4 Jan

So let me start by saying I learned that driving out to Shanendoah after it rains to fish Stoney creek is not a good idea, however luckily a local Orvis Pro that we all know gave me some good advice about Little Stoney. Another thing I learned is that signifigant rain does not effect the smaller streams (minus the leaves) as it does the bigger water. Drove out to Columbia Furnace on the 4th where Harry Murray made mention of a guy who told him he caught a 10lb'er by the bridge. Well, definatly wasnt going to catch anything in the merky brown water I saw on Stoney so I went up to Little Stoney off of Millertown Rd. I parked at the first bridge you come to and walked up stream some to scout some pools. There was a signifigant diffrence in the quality of water. Using streamers and obnoxious wooly buggers I was able to get my first brown trout, 4x 9-12'. I spent about 4 hrs trying different pools and then decided to get back in the car and drive to the end of Millertown Rd, past the "end of state maint" sign up to Woodstock Resivoir and learned I should have went here earlier. I didnt catch any fish but Im sure that next time I willl and they will be a bit larger than what I spent time on earlier. I passed a guy and his kid walking out by the resivoir and they had 2 15+ browns and prob a 17' brookie. They said the pools started about an 1/2 mile up past the resivoir. Unfortunately there wasnt enough time for me to make the trek up and back to the car so i fished around the resivoir for awhile with know luck. But there was a great view, Im sure there was fish there. Also wanted to throw out the first batch of flies that I tied with an Orvis Silver Label Fly-Tying Kit. The diretions were handy but, the video's by Tightlines Production on Vimeo are awsome for the beginner. Thanks Dan. 1 hr and 35 min ride to Little Stoney from Arlington. Give it a shot. 

Cheers 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f8c34c93-3ed2-474e-a347-db7b78c9586b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment