Wednesday, January 7, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Another blowout at Holmes Run?

It is very possible that few more dead fish will be found, after all of the water that has rushed down recently.  They are probably flushed out by now.

I live in the condos adjacent to where the construction is going on, and can no longer get down there from our property (at least until they are done).  The only way to get down there for us is to go down Columbia Pike by the dam.  I don't walk the creek now, because when I am walking I have my dogs, and the water is too cold for them to wade through.

In any event, today a representative of the construction company knocked on my door (as well as all of my neighbors' doors) to advise us of upcoming blasting they are planning.  I told him about the fish kill, and he said he was unaware of it, but that he would mention it back at their office (for what that is worth!).  There is no doubt in my mind that the kill had to be the result of the runoff from the construction in the last several weeks.  One look at the hill all the way to the top, until the last week or so, would show nothing but bare earth on a very steep incline. 

The state put in about 400# of trout in early November, and they were all healthy.

The construction company is the William A. Hazel, Inc., Company; phone, 703.657.6352.  The developer, for whom WAH is working is the Stanley Martin Company.  The handout this morning says if we have questions to "contact me," but does not say who "me" is.  In any event, this contact info might be helpful.  I don't know if the state could pressure WAH into paying for a restocking in the Spring, or not.  FWIW.

On Thursday, January 1, 2015 5:49:56 PM UTC-5, Cameron Abbott wrote:
 I went fishing at Holmes run today to find a whole lot of fish dead in the stream. I thought it might have been just a few fish but as i continued up the stream, i found more and more. I found large fish measuring from 11" to 14" as well as small fingerlings and minnows. I thought it might have been a bad batch of fish but i found a carp looking fish dead as well. I also ran into a gentleman that was saying he was catching fish 4 days ago as well as seeing people posting here cathcing fish there. I hope another leak hasn't happened there but just wanted to put the word out to see if anyone else has seen this and when they did or if they caught fish there recently so we can try to determine when this occurred. Below are some pics i took of the dead fish. Not good

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/a9a576e7-ef33-4145-971a-b76f6ed02e41%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment