Wednesday, September 24, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Rose River Farm Trip

Please excuse the typos and terrible grammar in my previous post. I typed it up on my ipad while trying to entertain my dog and enjoying a glass of Copper Fox Rye on the rocks.
 

On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:18:47 PM UTC-4, James Ovelmen wrote:
My parents, wife and I ended up having a great weekend. We drove down Sunday, took a solid 2 hours from silver spring. We got to the yurts around 2 pm, unloaded, got on our waders and other fly fishing paraphanalia and met Gary, the guide, by 3 pm right on the river. We were a bit down when we met Gary because we were an hour late for a half day trip, but then he starts warning us this could be a very tough day of fishing. The weather has been a little too warm lately and the water level is way down so the fish are extremely skittish. He was so worried he suggested I not use my fly line which was a bright yellow and use his dark green instead. Fortunately his fears proved unfounded. In the course of about 3 and a half hours I landed 35 rainbows, with a few in the 18-20 inch range. It was the best trout fishing I have ever had. I caught them on a beetle, stimulators, and a rose river special woolly bugger. My dad fished another best and got in around 20 fish, but bigger on average and all on dry flies. It was truly an amazing afternoon and Gary was a great guide. He credited the bit of overcast we had to the good fishing.

We then retired to the yurt and grilled out. The yurts are great, big, comfy, full kitchen and a great view. Only complaint is the beds are pretty I firm.

Monday we explored culpepper and toured the Copper Fox distiller, a small batch whiskey and gin maker who provides Founding Farmers their house liqours. We we're soak impressed we left with 3 bottles.

My dad and I hit the river again on Tuesday morning for another half day with Gary. Fishing was not as good, but we still both got ask lotof nice fish, I even got my biggest brook trout ever!

I can't recommend rose river or Gary as a guide enough, I guess that is why you have to reserve A spot so far in advance!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/92e15876-d541-40c7-8cb8-6cd362573bcc%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment