Monday, December 23, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: A Noob at 4MR

Thanks for posting that. I have never fished 4MR before but have certainly heard about it on this site. Nice to see what it looks like.  Wonder if i could pole my skiff up there?? Of course i wouldnt want to infringe on the walk in crowd. Hope to see more videos.

On Monday, December 23, 2013 12:28:53 PM UTC-5, Steve Sucher wrote:
My first post to TPFR was a little over a week ago asking for some info on 4MR to go fishing w/ my brother who was in town for a short time.
Rob Snowhite was kind enough to meet us on the water and show us some points of interest, hang out & get our lines wet. This was my first time fly fishing & Rob gave me some great pointer which I promptly forgot.
Later I went to Orvis and was helped by a bearded feller picking out some tying materials so I could spend the rest of the evening having a "Whiskey Tie" with my brother.
Little did I know that helpful feller was none other than the club's President Dan!

I got back on the water on Friday and it was gorgeous out. We fished the treatment outlet and my brother did much better than I. However I did catch a cool little fish I have no idea what it was & I failed to get a picture.
It has a torpedo shaped body, yellow eyes, and was like a white fish that have ginger colored patterning on it much like the strips of a musky. Also he felt much "softer" than say a bluegill or bass which are quite firm. Any ideas?
As sunset was approaching we strolled down to the bridge & fished the power line "island"   There was a nice bass in there that had no interest in my offerings but I got into several fun bluegill on a 5wt & my brother got some surface action.
Upon driving home I listened to Rob's Podcast on casting analogies & was able to apply them to everything I did wrong. (and Luke Skywalker had a yellow lightsaber :P )  Which was, everything except managing to get my fly onto the water. Second time ever fly fishing & I only snapped off 2 copper John's and a pheasant tail.  I say that was worth the half dozen fish caught & quality time spent.
Thanks for all the advice and hints I received. I'm looking forward to becoming a fly fisherman.

Great afternoon & some fun times. I hope ya'll enjoy the video I put together.

http://youtu.be/Ac0OME94Z2k


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/8b1f2891-1b23-406d-9a72-01c55034ecb9%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment