Wednesday, December 18, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Fiberglass Rod Recommendations

James -

One of the Fly Fishing periodicals currently on the magazine racks (the one with the "dead head" Abel reel on it) has a good article on fiberglass rods.  Pretty much the same info you've seen here, but from another source.

Also - based on what you've said your goals are, I suggest you check out one of the posts on "The Fiberglass Manifesto" - the one from yesterday.  You may find something you have been looking for.  This was written to specifically not get deleted for promoting commercial interests.

Victor, Carl, Art -

Is there still interest to have a 'glass gathering' to cast what's out there and share info/experiences on glass?  Throwing something out there for consideration - how about the Saturday after Christmas at the 4MR park - lots of grass just East of the parking lot to cast some lines, and some sunfish (and a bass or two) by the outfall to test out some of the ones that perk interest.

Vic

On Monday, December 9, 2013 8:26:30 AM UTC-5, James Ovelmen wrote:
I was hoping to get some recommendations on the new fiberglass rods that have been coming out. I am planning on getting one for my dad as a Christmas present. He is the guy that has everything and if he sees something he wants he just buys it, so shopping can be tough. But he doesn't have any fiberglass rods, at least no new ones. I think he might like one, because after 20 years of being too nervous to try use them for fear of breaking, we have started to fish his bamboo rods. I was thinking a fiberglass rod with a warranty would give some of that bamboo feel with none of the risk.

Unfortunately, I have had trouble tracking down fiberglass rods in person to try and cast them myself, so I figured I would throw it to the group and see if I could get some recommendations. Specifically, I am interested in the Echo Glass, Reddington Butterstick, and possibly the Orvis superfine glass. I was hoping to spend about $250 or less. The rod would basically be for just messing around with while trout fishing, but it would be great if it could throw small poppers for bluegills also. If you have casted or fished with any of these rods or other new glass rods you believe a I should be considering please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f8ff0640-5456-4f05-b44c-cb7e70a180b8%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment