Thursday, December 19, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Camping on Virginia Smallmouth water?

Hiya folks,
I did a search on "camping" and the hits seemed to be focused on trout streams. Now, I have a blast primitive camping in GWNF & SNP and pulling brookies out of streams but, I have a yearning for some bronzebacks.
So much so that I'm thinking about them almost 5 months too early :P
Does anyone have any suggestions for primitive camping along smallmouth waters? 
 
I have camped at Shenandoah River Outfitters near Luray & that was a nightmare of redneck drama. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty gritty myself but a drunk screaming "You left me out there to dieeeee!" and folks almost burning down the place using whole pallets as firewood is not a fun time for me. I want to see fish not people. A topo map shows the majority of the area is National Forest but actually scouting the area it appeared to be private land and posted.
 
Onward to the Rappahannock River!  I did a trip from Kelly's Ford to Motts Landing but it seemed like we spent more time paddling than fishing. Part of this was due to the fact a storm upstream was causing the river to rapidly rise. Literally an hour after we got off the river the level was deemed "dangerous"  There were several camping spots (heavily used) but they all seemed like water access. Also, lot's of partiers there. Nothing like pulling into a site tired & ready to relax & finding a Grogan in the middle of camp.
 
I'm not overly picky, I just like natural settings over seeing & hearing people hoot-n-holler all weekend.
So, primitive camping (I hammock camp), on a smallmouth river, accessible by land (preferably close to parking), and 2-3 hrs from DC.
(ok maybe I am picky :) )
 
-Steve

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/02b11f0e-0e52-48d0-8e1d-8e306d1d0fb2%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment