Friday, December 20, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Redfish trip yesterday

Well done Jeff, awesome fish indeed!  Hard work and BIG reward!!!!!!

Dan Davala


On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Jeffrey Silvan <jeffreysilvan@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm down in New Orleans for a wedding, so as with most of my for-fun trips, I went a day early for some fishing, and this time happens to be fantastic for redfish on the gulf. As my luck usually goes, I missed the best fishing by a day. By the time I got down there, the wind shifted away from prevailing and started from the Gulf, bringing damp air and some cloud cover. A front also moved through, really throwing off the fish. 

That being said, still had an awesome trip. We were only going after bull redfish, and only saw maybe 2 slot fish the whole day and the rest were 20+ lbs. I saw the first fish within a minute of my guide getting on the pole, but it was about 8 feet away from the boat, so it spooked. Very next fish was about 30 feet away, I laid down a perfect cast and it ate. Unfortunately, I trout set it instead of strip setting, and it popped off within 5 seconds. The rest of the day we struggled with lighting and rarely could even see a fish further than 20 feet from the boat. With the new weather patterns, full moon and really low water, they were super spooky. Around noon, the guide finally found a spot where multiple big guys were laid up. I could barely see the one the guide wanted me to cast to, so he actually did an awesome job getting me to basically blind cast to the perfect location. I stripped it a few times, then BAM! I remembered to strip set this time. Ten minutes later, I had the beauty in the attached photo in the net. It measured 29 lbs on the boca grip (just missed joining the Dirty 30 Club!) before we revived and released it to live another day. That fish set my personal fly rod record for landed fish.

I had a couple other follows the rest of the day, but couldn't get them to actually eat. Most of the fish were just way too spooky, and by the time we saw them, they'd spook before I could even start the cast.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CANiFxByUZ7NUhMXYfXM7Lz6ODigj4zR9f%3DHC7UGG_ytHhJRDdg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAEKpoJcU0GvQCmwemm8h%3D%2BRmMawdeaf4H0boXnXVpQBYRUkv6w%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment