Thursday, December 19, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Camping on Virginia Smallmouth water?

I hammock camp as well and love chasing the smallies.  My go to place the last couple of summers has been the confluence of the Rapp and the Rapidann.  The land on either side is owned by the city of fredericksburg and is all public.  There are miles of good camping and wading and it is somewhat remote.  I hike in because i do not have a boat and there is just an amazing amount of water to cover there.  Best flies I find are red damsel flies (i don't see and blue damsels there) black clousers with red eyes and crawfish imitations.  If you take a 3wt and throw micro poppers you can catch over 50 hand size or bigger of the hardest fighting bluegill you have ever caught.  

If I-95 is flowing it only takes me about an hour and a half from Alexandria to get to the trailhead and then a 20 minute hike to the water.  

What hammock setup do you use?  I am still tweaking my ENO stuff.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/9cbb58eb-b5db-4f50-b570-89d06f68d827%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment