Thursday, December 19, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: 19 Dec 13 - 4MR - Report

Here's the picture...

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:59:23 PM UTC-5, Vic Velasco wrote:
I'd be surprised if the spinfisher wasn't using a gulp grub.  That stuff is like catfish crack.  If you walk down a few scores of feet from the discharge, you'll see some deeper pools (relatively speaking).  Most times I've gone there, I see a larger channel cat chilling.  I haven't put a fly in front of it that entices a bite and I have told myself I need to bring my ultralight spinning stuff so I can cast a gulp grub on jighead, but haven't remembered to do so yet.

Those 'chubs' don't give any interest to flies either from my experience.  I took a picture to try and identify what they were - still can't figure it out.  They are like skinny carp - like chubs, but they don't seem to be as 'rounded' as chubs.

Any of you smarter guys out there (Rob) know what those mystery fish are?

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:15:31 PM UTC-5, Kevin S wrote:
I spent most of my morning tying a fly or two and surfing Facebook stirring up controversial trouble on the whole Phil Robertson thing when I decided my time could be better spent chasing fish.  So I checked the tide chart (saw I missed the good water), made some lunch and jumped in the car with my fly rod to drive to 4MR.  After the construction traffic etc. I finally go there a little after 1pm.  I walked toward the treatment plant discharge and saw a spin caster and another fly fisherman fishing that area.  I watched them a moment then moved on down a little ways to fish until one of them moved on or went home then I'd give it a go.  The other fly fisherman moved to a separate piece of water across from the outflow on the other side of the big branch in the middle of 4MR so I moved to the discharge area.  I had my troubles at first, even casting my rod tip into the water but luckily it stayed on the line so I could retrieve it and put it back on.  But eventually I was getting decent casts and got into the flow of fishing.  I was throwing a clouser minnow I tied with no luck.  Then I switched to a wolly bugger, no luck.  The fly fisherman packed it up and about five minutes after he left the spin fisherman hooked into something big.  There were several times he and I looked at each other like he may have gotten snagged but then his line would run.  After a 12-15 minute fight he finally landed a fairly large catfish.  I'd assume it to be in the 15-20lb range.  He took some photos, let it go, and packed it up.  I caught a glimpse of what he was using which appeared to be a white grub on a jig head so I looked at my flies and tied on a white clouser minnow.  I thought I had gotten a bite or two but nothing actually took the fly.  I could see chub like fish in the shallows and I thought I'd target them.  So I tied on a Copper John and cast out just past the discharge riffles and let it sink.  On a real slow retrieve letting the fly just drift and dangle I got into a school of blue gill.  I landed 3 and none were larger than palm size but they were fun.  I wish I hooked into that catfish.  Fishing a 5wt I think it'd have been ridiculous fun, but I'll take what I got and go back again.

Kevin

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/d7504ac6-dec8-426e-b31a-7d3bdf15337b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment