Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Constitution Gardens

Missed the attachment on one hog -- 



On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:25:33 AM UTC-4, TurbineBlade wrote:
Many of the visual "keys" for venomous snake species are very subjective and unreliable.  For example, many snakes (including non-venomous species) are capable of flattening their heads (and bodies) as a defense mechanism.  Others, such as coloration and pattern can be extremely variable.  Look at the patterns below for the Eastern Hognose snake.....the picture of the guy holding the really pretty one is me at Assateague a few years ago (attachment 91).  All of the pics below are the same species -- 







I've included a few cottonmouths from Crane Co. Missouri for reference as well (attached).  I worked closely with this species while pursuing a pointless degree between 2006-2008 and will vouch that they are fairly typical of the pit vipers -- lazy, energy-conserving, and very unlikely to bite unless physically grasped.  The stories I've heard about this species do not in any way mesh with my experience with them, and I'd encourage anyone who is forced to listen to someone tell stories about "cottonmouths attacking canoes" and "coming right for me" to ask the person how much they had to drink that day.  

Gene





"Bob,
I just saw your post. No it wasn't fun, I thought it might be a water moccasin and was trying to get the snake in the outflow to wash it away. It was both scary and intriguing.  "
 
Asking if it was fun was sarcasm, as I feel as Richard does about the video. At one point you lift the fish a good way up to you. You could have just lifted the bass out of there immediately and let it go. After your reply that you were trying to get the fish off and get the snake away I showed the vid. to several people without commenting on it. Not one thought you were doing anything but playing around with the snake and the fish. It looks bad.
 
Regarding your last post to Richard, it kind of goes hand in glove with your video.
 
My last words on this.
 
Bob Smith



On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:30:22 PM UTC-4, charlie wrote:
Ricard,

Thanks for the apologies.
I've watched the video again and could understand how you can think that I am cruel to animals and get satisfaction in torturing innocent creatures. My maniacal laughter was just deafening over the sound of the water outflow. There are other ways that I could have handled that situation, but because it is obvious that there is a lack of understanding, I digress.


Bob,
I just saw your post. No it wasn't fun, I thought it might be a water moccasin and was trying to get the snake in the outflow to wash it away. It was both scary and intriguing. 



On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Richard Farino <ric...@urbanangler.com> wrote:

 
 

At the 43 second mark, you put a graphic on the screen that said Herring – I had the volume down and assumed you were catching herring for bait.  My apologies.

 

No need for an explanation about the snake and the fish.  The video is self explanatory.

 

 

R

 

 

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313 | ric...@urbanangler.com


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/0d33dbff-bb0b-43ab-a37a-7d9dd7c9dc16%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment