Thursday, June 27, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} New Reel Recommendation

It is an old Cimarron in 5/6wt. It has been a good reel. My mother received it as a gift at some point before 1997 (my time reference is that she owned it prior to the time when we moved to Virginia). Basically, I fished/abused it about 4x/week for around six years, on several different rods, and she used it a moderate amount until about 2005. We both fished salt with it and neither of us took much care of it. I don't think I've ever fully broken it down for a cleaning.
 
What happened to it is the knob that you turn to tighten the drag now turns more than it used to and has a new clicking noise about every half rotation of the knob, and no drag is ever applied. I don't know exactly what happened, but I noticed the problem when I went to make my first cast on a jetty last week. I went to strip some line out rather forcefully, and the spool just spun, resulting in myriad loose coils around the spool and a healthy amount of tangles.
 
Ross sounds like they will most likely be able to repair it. My guess is some threads are stripped somewhere in there. Either way, I was kind of hoping it was totally kaput, as I've been looking for a reason to buy a bigger reel. I transferred two lines to a Orvis BBS V last night so I can fish while I shop around.
 

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:28:53 AM UTC-4, Carl wrote:
What model was your old Ross?  Just wondering.  I've never heard of a Ross dying.

I have had good luck with buying reels off ebay or discontinued models on clearance.  The following are my observations, your mileage may vary and I don't want to start flame wars.  Many people buy top end gear and then just don't use it much.  Newish gear is still expensive, but top end reels from 10 years ago are relatively cheap and you can choose the reels that have stood the test of time.  Also, larger reels end up cheaper on the used market, since small/trout reels are more desirable (except when it comes to Abel reels).  If you are willing to buy an Non-large arbor reel, the old Ross Cimmaron  C-3's have been going for really cheap.


When going this route, I would buy 2 reels or buy a reel with multiple spools at the same time.  


Carl



On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Eric Y. <theeri...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions on a new reel? The drag on my old Ross gave up the ghost this past weekend and I need something to cover a few rods now seeing as my spools are not compatible with new Ross models. I will be putting it on a single-hand 8 and 9wt, and 6wt switch. Because I'll need two additional spools, I would prefer to keep the reel price around (or, under) $200. I'll be using it in salt water some, but mostly fresh water. Disc drag is non-negotiable, but I'm open to any brand. So far, I've been looking at some of the Redington and Albright reels, but I really only started perusing this morning. Tall order, I know, but someone here probably has some good ideas and advice.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/7104273d-64e2-4809-9e24-6c2a89f89da8%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/684a2f51-414b-465e-b4a7-ee5ea8da2b6b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment