Friday, July 17, 2020

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Timing the Tidal Basin

I was out this morning being filmed for a project. Couldn't get a nibble on film or when cameras were off. Nothing was biting. Lots of baby shad schooling around. One other fly angler got skunked too. I fished FDR <--> MLK with no activity. 

This was my first time in DC since March. Maybe 10 people passed us. Completely empty. Took about 20 min to get there from Fairfax. Unbelievable. 



On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 1:17:48 PM UTC-4, William Hea wrote:
I'm trying to take advantage of my proximity to the Tidal Basin, but I'm not great at doing bass/warm water fish on the fly. I'm going to be accessing by bike in the mornings (before 9am) or evenings (after 7pm). I use a 9' 6wt.

I've always struggled getting anything going in tidal water, specifically the Tidal Basin, 4MR, or Gravelly Point. I suspect most of it probably has to do with poor timing of tides and weather effects and inexperience fishing streamers and bass flies.

Current strategy for the Tidal Basin is to arrive near FDR memorial, park the bike, hit the wall with poppers and streamers on the way to the Ohio bridge and swing streamers across the current. I've been focusing on going when I'm available and it's cool out (comfortable for me) but ignoring tides, weather, etc. Typically use Clousers (multiple sizes), Snowhite damsels, squirmy wormys, scorpion bugs, poppers, and beadhead nymphs. Vary retrieve speeds from slow to fast.

What indicators are you all watching for the right times to fish tidal water? How does the weather influence your decisions? Is there a good book I can read on how to do this well?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ee486267-43d6-407a-84c8-5b5ddc5afb38o%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment