Wednesday, July 8, 2020

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Lots of fish, impossible spot, need help!

If the water temp isn't the problem, casting under that bridge should be manageable using a sidearm cast. So rather than casting the traditional way with the rod tip slightly less than vertical, do your casting strokes with the rod out to the side parallel to the water. Everything is the same as a normal cast, you've just rotated it so the rod tip stays well under the height of the bridge. Practice this cast over the stream somewhere out of sight of those fish so as not to spook them with a bad cast, then only go in after them once you feel comfortable.

As for flies, I would try an ant, maybe a green weenie. 5x is fine but make sure it's a pretty long leader.

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 10:48:51 AM UTC-4, Neil Chilson wrote:
Hello, all,

I'm a relatively new fly fisher who has been quarantining out in Criders, VA (about 4 miles from the West Virginia border) and fishing as often as work and my 11 month old permits.  The German River is less than a mile from where we are staying, and while very low, there is a spot that has fish - but is very difficult to cast to and the fish are ultra picky.  I've probably fished there 10 times at this point and early on caught one trout on a spinning rod and have caught a few chubs on the fly rod, but there are decent size trout there and I very much want to land one on the fly rod. 

Here is the situation:  a 4-6 foot hole under a low bridge.  Bridge is maybe 5 feet off the water. The trout sit on the upstream side of the bridge (I can see them from up top and from in the water - see linked pics). 

So i have two challenges:

First, how do I cast under that bridge to the upstream side?  There is adequate clearance on the downstream for a backcast (although a few annoyingly tall plants that I've snagged with crappy casts) but I cannot figure out how to get a low enough arc on the cast to get it to travel under the bridge any real distance. Any thoughts?

Second, these fish seem super spooky or picky. I've gone under the bridge and bow-and-arrowed a few decent casts with a dry fly indicator and nymphs and have repeatedly watched the fish just sit there while my flys drift by. As you can see, the water is quite still and clear; my thought is they are seeing my 5x tippet or my fly line or me. I don't have smaller tippet on me, sadly.  

I could really use some advice here, I'm going crazy seeing these fish in the water, rising to eat, and not being able to even tempt them. I leave this Monday so I am running out of time. Please help.

Absent that, if any of you know the area and can suggest nearby fishing spots less likely to make me lose my mind, I'd welcome your suggestions.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/720432c1-846d-44a0-8397-16180eaf27b0o%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment