Friday, May 29, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Driving the Alcan

Thanks for getting back to me, both of ya'll!

I'm planning on camping a little, but in hindsight I don't think I'll be doing any fishing till I finish the drive. I misinterpreted the cost of licenses for the different provinces, and since I would only have a few hours to fish in each province before I pass through - I'll have to be booking it the whole trip - I don't think I'll be able to justify the extra expense. I may be able to fish one of provinces, and we'll see how lucky I am if I do.

Thanks again,

Kevin

On May 25, 2020, at 2:16 PM, Daniel Lazenby <dlazenby4@gmail.com> wrote:

Kevin,
In June of '17 I drove from the Roosville MT border crossing to Dawson Creek then the Alcan (which doesn't start until you reach Dawson Creek) to the Alaskan Alcan Border crossing. To say we dawdled because of my having to find out if there were fish in the nearby stream is an understatement. It took us almost 4 weeks to get from US Border to US Border. I presume you have already acquired a copy of the MilePost and have selected your travel route. Within each route, section MilePost identifies fishable water. Watch out for the frost heaves. They can and have destroyed heavily laden vehicle suspensions.

Will you camp along the way or try and stay in motels? This choice can determine how close you are to fishable water.  You mentioned you were driving the U-Haul. Will you be towing a car? Having a car could make it easier to access some water if staying in motels. Be sure to protect the front of the vehicle. You will be driving over gravel roads under re-construction/construction.

I primarily fished British Columbia, where I discovered US Citizens are considered Aliens and get to pay Alien license rates. I also fished through the Yukon, one of the best license rates. I did not fish Alberta because of the route we took. 

As for fishing, I used a Cabela 4 piece 4wt outfit that I bought for something like $120.00. I swapped out Cabela's standard line for a known brand trout line. Most of the water I came across was in the 15-30 foot wide freestone mountain stream variety. I didn't use any of my heavier rods till I was fishing waters known to hold Salmon or Trout feeding off of the spawning Salmon. 

My wife and I camped through Canada. My primary reference was Mike and Terry Church's  Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping: Alaskan and Yukon Camping with RV or Tent. They highlighted fishable water near the campgrounds along the various routes to Dawson Creek and the Alaska Highway itself. I'm not at home at the moment so I'm working off faulty memory. I'll look at my fishing reference materials and camping journals for the trip when I get home and respond again.   

I caught mostly Grayling under 8 inches. Remember they live in a very harsh and short growing season along the Alcan routes. One place that comes to mind is Buckinghorse River Wayside Provincial Park north of Fort St. John in British Columbia. The river was about 150 yards behind the campsite. Caught several grayling here downstream dead drifting a size 14 mosquito dry fly. Think medium size SNP Brookies. 

Watson Lake is fishable and is a short walk from the community of Watson Lake.

I hope this helps a little.

Daniel


On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 3:51 PM Kevin Jones <kefjones@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,

I've enjoyed the TPFR forum immensely, as well as in-person guidance from members of the forum. I especially appreciate the tips for shad fishing, and I hope to get out a few more times before the run is completely over. As my time comes in the DC area comes to a close, I'll be availing myself of ya'll's knowledge again. My family and I are moving to Anchorage, Alaska. They'll be flying (who wants to drive 70+ hours with 3 kids in a car?!), but I will be driving a U-Haul from DC along the Alcan highway. I'm looking forward to wetting a line in the evenings during the drive. Naturally, I'm also excited to fish in Alaska once we get there.

My question is twofold.
1) Where do I have to stop, either to fish or to eat, during the drive. The aforementioned U-Haul, and time constraints, will prevent me from detouring too far from my route, but I'd love to get some fishing in during the trip, assuming the COVID outbreak doesn't preclude doing so. Canadian week-long fishing licenses are suprisingly reasonable, and I'd hate to miss out on the experience.
2) I have a 6wt and a 9wt rod, both 9' long, which I expect to use once I'm settled in. I'd like a lighter rod for the smaller streams and  lakes I'll be driving past in Canada, as well as once we settle down, but I don't have a lot of money. Consequently I'll need to limit myself to 1 combo, and I doubt I could go beyond $150 for the whole thing; moving to Alaska is expensive, ya'll! I'd be interested in used as well as new sets, and I'd appreciate any feedback ya'll have. What weight would you look for? What maker? What rods? For a point of reference, my 6 weight is an Echo base, and I've been happy with it. At the least, I recognize that I can't blame the rod for my own casting flaws.

Thanks for any guidance ya'll can give!

Tight lines,

Kevin

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/0615539f-cea7-4582-8b33-fcebb111edf7%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAJ51Moywt3Cx1FXj2ctZ5DLA7251idqNyvNb1pM%2BTvN%2BsJVWVg%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment