Tuesday, May 28, 2019

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Watercraft for apartment dwellers

Hi Jamie,

My wife got me an inflatable paddleboard last Christmas that I've been keeping at my in-laws in Southwest Florida. I've spent six or seven full days on the water now and love it--my board is 11'6" x 34" and is quite stable, I'd say the same or more stability as a large-ish canoe, and quite a bit more stable than any kayak I've been in. It's a bit of a pain to hand pump, doable but not fun, but luckily I got a package deal with electric pump that uses a car cigarette lighter. If you're getting one, I'd look at models 33-36" wide to get sufficient stability. I've been on hard SUPs that are 28" or 30" wide and they are super sketchy for me without even fishing.

I've used it in mangrove creeks and small bays, it is easier to paddle than a canoe while solo but its still better to stay at home if the wind picks up. I haven't taken it in flowing water outside minor tidal flows to be able to speak to that. A couple must have accessories are a cooler to sit on and a stake out pole to hold your spot in shallow water, as well as some lashes to hold gear in place.

The best part of the SUP is the ability to stand up while casting to get a better vantage point on fish and structure. The kayak you link looks like it sits really low and would be not so fun fishing from for me.

This is the model I have: https://irockersup.com/product/blackfin-model-xl-paddle-board/

I'd hoped it would be easier to travel with, but it's heavy (~50 lbs with pump, paddle, bag, etc.) and in a bag the size of an international suitcase. This is obviously way easier to store and transport than a standard kayak, canoe, or hard paddleboard.

Dalton

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/a07706bc-3a71-4d4d-bef9-389de5bc07d8%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment