Thursday, May 30, 2019

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Watercraft for apartment dwellers

Jamie,

 

Any time.  Just give me some advance notice so I can make sure to make time.


As for PFDs – I always wear one.  I use the BOTE which is a Type III inflatable that you wear around your waist like a belt, but you can use any brand.  Stearns makes one as well, as do any of the other companies that sell boats like West Marine, Bass Pro Shops, and even Cabelas.

 

I also have a leash that I wear on the SUP in heavy or moving water.

 

Hope that helps.

 

 

R

 

From: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Jamie Carracher <jcarracher@gmail.com>
Reply-To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 11:19 AM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com>
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Watercraft for apartment dwellers

 

Thanks everyone for your feedback and product suggestions. It's been super helpful--I'm now really leaning toward a SUP. I love the idea of easy set up and portability. I think it'll fit my needs, which are basically just getting access to more fishable areas that I can't on foot. Rich, I may just take you up on that hands on demo. I've seen that one in the shop.

 

I've noticed a lot of the marketing materials for these things don't show people in life jackets. Do you all have a rule of thumb for when you wear one? 

 

 


On Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 5:31:43 PM UTC-4, Gregg DiSalvo wrote:

If between inflatable Kayak and inflatable SUP, I'd choose SUP 100% of the time for fly fishing.  As Thomas mentioned, I have a kayak that is incredibly stable. I am going into my 3rd season with it and I think I've thrown a fly from the seat under 5 times.  Fly fishing standing up is so much easier.  If you can find a stable SUP (wide) then I'd go for that.  I've paddled, but never fished from a few inflatable SUPs and found them pretty stable.  There's an acclimation period, but that could be said for my kayak as well.  Once you get a feel for it, I think you could modify it to suit your needs. 

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 10:02:41 AM UTC-4, Jamie Carracher wrote:

Hi all, I know there have been a few threads about kayaks and the such, but I was curious for folks' thoughts on fishing watercraft that are compact enough for city living specifically. For example, I've been intrigued by the Oru Kayak. It's super expensive but folds up into something I could store in the trunk of my car or in a closet at home. 

 

I've contemplated stand-up paddle boards,too. I've only been an SUP once and it took me a bit to get used to it (I fell off a couple times) and am not sure how it'd be too fish off one, especially in places with current and rocks and riffles. The one I used was on a calm reservoir. That said, I've never fished in a kayak, either. Only canoes and rowboats.

 

In terms of use, I was thinking I'd use it primarily for ponds and rivers (upper Potomac/Shenandoah in the summer). Not looking to do anything extreme--just looking to cover more water.

 

Thanks!

 

 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/7fed9917-0c0c-488d-b39d-1618d319a2ec%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment