Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Watercraft for apartment dwellers

Jamie,

I've held off responding because of course my reply is biased, but it's biased because I did a little research on brands and what they had to offer before I put them in the shop.

I wanted to put SUPs in the shop that could get fly fishers into waters around the Potomac, its tributaries, and other smaller waters, like tidal creeks and back bays. I wanted a platform that was stable enough to cast and move back and forth, and somehow carry more than one rod, and something to sit on.

I wanted to be able to drop in alongside roads and small parks, paddle up into skinny water, and chase snakehead and bass in places that were either too soft and muddy to walk in, too overgrown to bushwack, or just surrounded by homes with no public access. Think Little Hunting, Blackwater, Cameron, and a bunch of other No Tellum creeks in the area.

I also am in a townhouse off H Street NE and don't want to mess with taking it thru the house into our backyard so I wanted a more portable and convenient way to do what I wanted without buying a johnboat.

After hitting the fishing shows and trying the inflatable and hard BOTE boards, I was sold. I even bought one myself, which is assembled in the shop with all the bells and whistles. BOTE isn't the least expensive model, but in my opinion, it's one of the best. Other brands like Pau Hana were on the list but I went with a company that was wedded to the fly fishing industry and had product availability.

There are ups and downs to every SUP, and the easiest way to tell if it's something you'd like to use is to just call me at the shop and ask me to bring you somewhere to demo it. Any of you are welcome to do the same anytime.

Regards,

Richard


On 5/28/19, 9:39 PM, "Jamie Carracher" <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com on behalf of jcarracher@gmail.com> wrote:

Wow those are some really awesome options. Thanks everybody! I have to admit, those Flycraft products look pretty freaking sweet. But more expensive than I was thinking of spending. And more than I need. But one day...

Most of the fishing I do is within an hour or so of DC, so I like the idea of a SUP and its quick assembly. Also, the investment is pretty good. Plus my wife, who has no interest in fishing, could use it. When you talk about current, what would be too much? Could it handle up north of Riverbend Park in the summer when the water is low—at least cross-crossing to find spots (I'm sure it'd probably go all over in the main current)? Or is it better in something like the Monocacy where the current is general a lot more slow (from what I've seen. I'm not an expert on that water). I'm not looking to go through rapids or anything—just thinking of the conditions I'm most likely to to experience here.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/02aaaf71-e6cc-4395-8757-af39c0149262%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/F103CB63-82F0-4E30-BC51-F892B3BFC2CA%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment