Saturday, May 12, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} trip report: Redington Beach, FL

I was in Redington Beach for a few days this week, and just by way of advice: if you haven't fished hardly at all in two years, don't expect to bring your A game to your summer vacation. I really wished I had practiced a bit (a lot) before this trip. Nor did I get as much fishing in as I hoped. I had a kayak and was able to spend a couple mornings paddling around the north part of the bay behind Redington Beach, on the advice of TPFR alum and FL fishing guide Jim Kammel. Jim was booked solid months ago because it's now tarpon season down there and I didn't have the mettle to drag the kayak the mile and a half to the beach to launch on the surf side. Jim told me there would be reds in the bay, which is okay by me. Day one yielded no fish, after a late morning start. Also, I had never fished from a sit-on-top kayak before, so it took me a bit to get the hang of it. I've fished in canoes plenty, but fish or no fish I was glad to not have the extra profile for the wind to push around. I can see why so many people dig kayaks, and I'm definitely sold.

Day two I sat out with a sick kid, but I got up early on day three and paddled back across the bay. It was pretty fishy - lots of mullet, some nice heavy swirls. I cast a few different flies, and got a solid hook up using a gold Softy Spoon. I knew just by the way it fought it probably wasn't a red, so I was prepared to be disappointed. by a catfish or something. But I got him to the boat: a nice snook! He got off the hook before I could get a picture, but I was pretty happy. I also caught the smallest ladyfish I have ever seen, which was kinda disappointing until I remembered that she was bigger than the biggest brook trout I have ever caught. I only had an hour of actual fishing that morning, and had to head back to base. That morning I walked the beach with my miraculously recovered kid, and saw the guide boats going after tarpon not too far off shore. The water was calm and very clear, and I could see black drum and and whiting, a ton of stingrays, and maybe some other fish feeding near shore. I wouldn't go out of my way to fish Redington Beach, but I was there anyway and glad it fished as well as it did.

-Miles

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/e029bdd9-1302-48a9-9139-9ddd1457890d%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment