Friday, May 25, 2018

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Any Suggestions for the Cacapon River?

Thanks for the tips, for the shuttle I'll just try to find a float partner, I typically won't go it alone on a new float. I'll try to get out there before flows drop if my schedule allows, I'm not sure that it will. Though there is still plenty of rain in the forecast

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 11:33:50 AM UTC-4, Tom Moran wrote:
Andrew, don't wait to long to do a Cacapon float - when river levels get to summer low flow, while you can still do the trip, you will drag bottom quite a bit.  I rather enjoy the extremely technical aspect of finding a chute of water through riffles, but it can be challenging.

Typically May is the best month in my experience, but obviously river levels vary with weather impacts.  Also, you'll need another vehicle for a shuttle unless you work an arrangement for a ride.  To my knowledge there's no Uber or Lyft service out there.  I've walked into general stores (like in Great Cacapon) and been successful in getting a ride up from where I left my vehicle for takeout.  A quick $20 for someone might work.

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Andrew Sarcinello <andy...@gmail.com> wrote:
The only musky I've had follow on the Potomac was right at the mouth of Cacapon. Need to get back up to that area. Misha and I went this winter once (Potomac, not Cacapon, but same area) when water was a chilly 34 degrees, didn't see a fish...haven't gotten around to it since.

I'm thinking I'll try to do a Cacapon float sometime later this summer for bass and just keep my eyes peeled for muskies.

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 9:14:03 AM UTC-4, westbrid...@gmail.com wrote:
I have a place on the cacapon about 6 miles up stream from the rt 9 bridge and will be there this weekend too.  excellent fishing, but it is still pretty damn high.  https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01611500 

I dont really like to float much above 600cfs if i want to catch fish and above 1000 i woudl imaging woudl not only be pretty hairy,  but would also mean teh potomac is way up too.  I dont know if it will drop that much until the end of the weekend.   the confluence is suppose to be a great musky spot.   

This is early so i would say closers and any minnow imitator is your best bet as welll,  but they will crush a popper or diver early and late too.   If its fishable i plan to focus on push water and eddies at teh bottom of the rapids.  



On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 10:44:08 PM UTC-4, DaveSurfs wrote:
Good evening,

Heading up near Berkeley Springs WVa this weekend and will likely float the Cacapon Friday afternoon/evening (T-Storms permitting), and then float the confluence of the Cacapon and Potomac down to Hancock, MD on Saturday. Sunday's destination is up in the air, but will likely try and get a couple hours Sunday morning before heading back south.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Rob Snowhite's recent podcast has me interested in trying the Booglebug with woolybugger dropper for Smallies. I figured I'd also try crayfish imitation, and a couple baitfish patterns.

I'll be fishing a 9'0" 5Wt from a Kayak. 

Any suggestions appreciated.

One other thought, if the T-Storms come up bigger than forecast Friday afternoon and the rivers silt up, any suggestions on where to find cleaner water? should I be looking to trace blue lines on Google Maps and seek higher altitudes?

Thanks,
Dave

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/wr4miuI4-Xc/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f580f81e-58a8-4802-b0b9-9a879855ff51%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/cfe3f03a-98da-4d93-974b-bc424717c203%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment