Sunday, May 6, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: HELP NEEDED: Impromptu Oregon Fishing Trip

This is probably a little late but I was on the deschutes about two weeks ago fishing an emerger under a generic hopper pattern, we were fishing tight on the bank, I mean, tight. Some fish were feet away from me. 9ft leader to the hopper and 2-3ft to the emerger/nymph under. I spent the entire day roll casting that and about 1-10ft of line. Caught tons of fish, and the weather was perfect. I saw a few people out with trout spey setups casting from the opposite banks (I was in a drift boat going hole to hole) but never saw any takes. 

 My dad has been fishing the sandy (he works about 30mins away) this season and has said the steelie run was awful, a one fish day, and sometimes a one take day, was a good day. I've been told by multiple guides thats been the case this year all over the columbia river area, the olympic penn. has supposedly faired a touch better. We'll see what the salmon run is like, I wouldn't mind heading back up there for silvers again this year.


On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 6:28:11 PM UTC-4, Ashley Frohwein wrote:
I just learned a few days ago that I'm traveling for work to Salem and Portland, OR this coming week and weekend. I have one free day (Saturday), and I'm looking to do some DIY wade fishing within ~1.5 hrs. of the Portland airport. Oh, and get this: I've never fished on the West Coast, nor have I ever fished for steelhead or salmon. I've tried to do some internet research, but other than the Orvis 101 salmon/stealheading videos, I haven't found much.

So here's my plan (which I need and would appreciate input on):

I'm planning to fish the Sandy River. (Do you know of any better options in the area? I need something wadeable and relatively simple, since I've only got 1 day to fish it.) I'm bringing an 8 weight (salmon) and 5 weight (trout) (both singlehanded), both with floating lines. I have a full sink line for the 8 weight, and a sinktip floating line for the 5 weight, both of which I'll be bringing. I've got some generic salmon and steelhead flies, and will pick some more up while I'm out there. I'll be using 9-11 foot 8-12 (and maybe even 16) lbs leaders.

Any advice/input would be much appreciated.


-Clueless.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/64f25e4a-9dd7-480d-9231-1f932e55b4b1%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment