Thursday, February 15, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Gravelly Point

Hi Connor, I just found this forum and am catching up on a few topics of interest.  I was a member of the Potomac River Smallmouth Club for quite a few years, mostly in the '90's, and at one point we ran into issues wading at Turkey Run area, which is clearly within the scope of the CFR you linked.  This presented quite an issue for the club as this was a very popular spot to hit for an hour or two after work in the summer.  The river gets very wide and shallow there, except for a narrow channel running near the Va shore.  No wading?!   Our club leadership reached out to the Park Service, and after some lobbying they issued a clarification letter that indicated that entering the water to fish from the Park in the Turkey Run area should not be considered a violation of the rule.  Now, I don't know if the rule was the same then as now.  And what they did was in effect a non-enforcement waiver, kind of quiet and behind the scenes.  Turkey Run at the time had some issues with illicit activities and they were more than happy to have anglers using the park regularly.  

I've since drifted away from the club, though it's still active.  I do wonder if that exemption still works.  

Tom

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 2:27:35 PM UTC-5, Rob Snowhite wrote:
Here is the answer given by a GWMP Representative. The US Park Police will try to have officers attend Beer Tie for us to ask about such issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entering the Potomac River and/or its tributaries from Park property to wade, swim, bathe, etc is illegal (unless you're trying to save a drowning person).  I suspect 36 CFR 7.96 is probably the best source if you're looking for specific regs.  Also Park specific additions to 36 CFR 7.96 can be found in GWMP's Compendium at: www.nps.gov/gwmp/learn/management/upload/Compendium.pdf.  Wading is not allowed from Park property at the 3 areas you've circled (or any other Park areas).  

One could technically wade into the Potomac River from a non-Park area without violating any Park regs (i.e., jump out of a kayak/boat to wade... or wade in from non-Park/private property), but they may still be in violation of DC regs.  Keep in mind US Park Police officers have concurrent jurisdiction.  If they observe non-Park infractions (i.e., DC, VA, MD reg violations), they can/do write citations for those violations as well.  As the the club members have noted, some of the officers are lenient due to the jurisdictional complications of the area.  I'll need to research the DC regs to determine if they allow wading into the Potomac from private property.

I can clarify some of the club members questions about licensing and jurisdiction of that area.  The jurisdiction overall is rather complicated.  The Potomac river itself (water column) in this area, and the water in the Gravelly Point "cove"/boat ramp area is under DC jurisdiction/DC fishing regs.  The Roaches Run column of water is Park jurisdiction, but defaults to Virginia fishing regulations (NPS wading regs still apply).  If I recall correctly, the point of separation between DC and NPS at the Roaches run inlet/outlet is the east side of the northbound GW Parkway road.  East of that line, a DC license is needed... west of that line (into the sanctuary), a VA license is needed.  Those licenses unfortunately do not reciprocate (between VA and DC).  I would recommend the club members obtain both licenses to be safe.

Regarding vessels in Roaches Run, there are prohibitions on internal-combustion engines, but I don't believe there are any restrictions on non-motorized vessels in that area.  I'll need to research this as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------


On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 10:42:28 AM UTC-5, Connor Lynch wrote:

Hey guys,
Had a run in with the law this morning at gravelly. The officer's name was John Alto, super nice guy and a fisherman himself. He asked for my license and I gave him my DC license which he was okay with but he said you technically do need a VA license. I also know there has been some debate about the legality of wading at Gravelly. Again, he told me it was technically illegal but that he wasn't going to write me up for wading. I spoke with him in the parking lot so he did not catch me in the act of wading but I had my waders on when I talked with him after I fished. I fish at gravelly and the duck pond a lot and this is the first time I've ever been stopped by park police. John said they are hiring some more officers to help patrol the river and are making a bigger effort to stop poaching, especially in the spring. I guess this doesn't really help answer any questions, and I could have just gotten lucky, but I thought I'd still share.

In other news, the fishing at gravelly is hot. Outgoing tide at sunset last night and sunrise this morning. Swinging clousers and deceivers through the current works well. Schoolies, largemouth, and even a 28-30 inch walleye. Couldn't get a picture of the walleye so you'll just have to believe me. I've added some pictures from last night and this morning and then some pictures from gravelly, 4mr, and the duck pond from summer/fall. Snakehead was caught back in August by my buddy on topwater.
Looking forward to meeting some of you guys at the next beer tie.
Tight lines,
Connor

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/47c72bef-3cf7-4312-91a7-7dcac5e4d1e5%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment