Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Beaver Creek MD

Heyyyy! There's a Trout! Congrats on sniffing that one out Gary, they can be tough to get to hand.

-Trent

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 5:33:07 PM UTC-4, Gary Fleeger wrote:
I was in the area of Little Seneca Creek, so I thought I'd give it a try.  The good news is that I caught this little guy, but the bad news is that it was after two hours.  So the advice of LSC not being an epic trout stream is correct, but there are some in there.  In the first 10 mins I found a 2-3 foot hole under a tree trunk with good current.  On the first cast I got a nice hit, then nothing.  I could see 3-4 four little guys and 2 in the range of 12 inches.  I worked my way about half way to the dam with the theory that the water would be cooler and perhaps deeper.  I gave up after not seeing anything in the water and getting tangled a million times.  When I have time I'll try to make it all the way to the dam.  Has anyone else been up to the dam?  Ironically I caught this little guy back by my car just down stream of Clopper road.  Sure there are a million better places, but this place is only 25 mins from my house with no traffic.  I became inspired to give it a shot when I saw a youtube video of 10 year olds catching trout in this creek. 




On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 9:08:33 AM UTC-4, Carl wrote:
Gary, 

Little Seneca is a Put and Take fishery.  As far as I know, trout don't hold over the summer.  You can look at the Maryland DNR website to see the stocking schedule, but they don't put a ton of fish in.

However, Little Seneca and Seneca creek are viable suburban smallmouth streams.  You might want to switch over to smallmouth fishing.  In water that might look like trout water in a colder environment, we usually have smallmouth.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:40 AM, Andrew Sarcinello <andy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gary, I'll second getting in touch with James. If you fish up there, at least stop in the shop. He's put a ton of work into making that fishery what it is today and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful with info on the streams in that area.

As for trout within an hour of DC - the upper Patuxent River can be good in certain sections in the state park. Wild and stocked fish. Lots of hunters this time of year though. I haven't found it to be all that easy to fish but there are plenty of browns up there.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/c8a68b4d-5215-44b1-b04d-5cc27a2ae787%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/d589f3ad-dc80-4ecd-b881-3f19101238e5%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment