Friday, February 6, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Bucktail minnows work - I've been remiss

I decided to put those 34007s I got from Rich a while back to good use the other day and forced myself to tie "bucktail" minnows (Yuck) with very, very SPARSE wings.  I mean, wings with so few fibers (hand-stacked a bit) that you could count them.  

They work pretty darn well afterall -- I suspect I disliked them because I tied them poorly.  I'm a believer in the "Gartside principle", that fish are stupid and tend to "see what they want to see" with a fly pattern.  I think the sparse wing provides enough, but not too much to seem artificial if that makes sense.  

My hands froze and were tomatoes, but you can stand there like a goon and pull out fish on nearly every cast.  

I hate winter -- I think I'll drive to Covington tomorrow, get trapped on the other side of the stream, and have to run up the Gathright steps while Beth meets me at the top .  Then we'll speed off without anyone seeing our license plate!  Wait, that was last September!  "Government officials only" ---suckers!  

Gene  

PS -- if adding lead eyes to a bucktail fly that people were fishing for X years with bead chain and calling it after yourself is par-for-the-course with fly fishing people, consider me a meat-fishing, tenkara guy!  

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/83305393-ada9-4b26-88ed-840eb5c9b585%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment